Vrat Chawal Dhokla Recipe
By Nmami Agarwal
The spiceless food and sudden absence of delicacies from the plate make fasting season tiresome and boring. To minimize your cravings of mid-time snacks we have this fermented dhokla made with samwatchawal tempered with whole red chilies, cumin, ghee, and curry leaves.
Enjoy this Navratri fasting special dish at home and you would not be able to resist making it on another occasion too!
Samwatchawal: It is similar to rice in taste and texture but it is not a grain,instead it is a seed which is high on calcium, potassium, phosphorus and amino acids. While on fast, it is prohibited to eat rice and hence Samwatchawal becomes the healthy replacement of rice. Even diabetic patients can eat SamakChaval and remember that it is not cooked in hydrogenated Vanaspati oil as this will drain its nutritional value.
Yoghurt: The main benefit of yogurt is in the digestive tract, where the friendly bacteria found in it can aid in digestion as well as assist in cleaning the intestines and digestive tract.It contains a lot of calcium along withhigh B vitamins, particularly vitamin B12 and riboflavin and an impressive amount of protein, all good to promote good health.
- Samak chawal- 20g
- Sour yogurt- 30g
- Ginger paste- 1 tspn
- To taste Green chilies paste
- Sendha namak (rock salt)- 1 tspn
- Oil/ghee- 1 tspn
- Whole dry red peppers- 2
- Curry leaves- 6 to 7
- Cumin seeds- 1 tspn
- For garnishing Coconut and fresh coriander, grated
Calories: 127 kcal
- In a pan roast the rice very lightly and make sure that you do not let it brown.
- Prepare the batter – mix rice, rock salt, chilli paste, ginger paste, and yogurt. Let the mixture ferment overnight (it should become a bit spongy).
- Transfer the batter into a tin which is greased with little ghee.
- Put the tin into the steamer and let it cook for 20 minutes.
- Test if it is done else cook for some minutes more and then let it cool.
- Heat ghee in a pan. Add cumin, red pepper and curry leaves to heated ghee in a pan and pour it over the dhokla.
- Cut the dhokla into serving pieces and garnished it with coriander and coconut. Serve.
Over to You:
Instead of relying on boring and oil filled recipes, try this vrat chawal dhokla recipe and garnished with rich coriander leaves and coconut. It’s steamed and packed with essential nutrients for fresh and energetic ingredients. Try soon and let us know in the comment section below.
Like this Recipe?
Share it with your friends and loved ones: