Tips to Boost Happy Hormones (Serotonin and Endorphins)
By Nmami Agarwal
Happiness is a state of mind and how you feel inside! Life is a struggle and struggle is necessary to achieve everything that you ever wanted. For sure the struggle is necessary, you just don’t have to compromise on your happiness because everything that you do if you are doing that without being happy about it, think again! From people who are occupied with mental tensions to people who just want to have some happy time, there’s something for you.
About Serotonin and Endorphins
Serotonin and Endorphins are called happy hormones for a reason. What? Continue reading. Endorphins are released into the bloodstream to bring about a feeling of euphoria, pleasure, de-stress, and reduction in pain. The foods that boost Endorphin secretion are- Ginseng, vanilla bean, dark chocolate, and strawberries.
Tryptophan is an essential amino acid which synthesizes a hormone called serotonin. Serotonin is crucial for people suffering from anxiety and depression. It helps in boosting your mind and providing a healthy sleep. Its secretion helps in lifting your mood and relieving from stress. As tryptophan is an amino acid, it’s necessary to include protein-rich food in your diet in order to increase its levels. And when the levels of tryptophan will increase, it will further initiate the secretions of serotonin, which is a natural mood stabilizer.
Nature’s fix to happy hormones
There is nothing nature cannot heal. For regular fix of these happy hormones, exposure to sunlight is advisable. It works on special areas of retina which help in releasing serotonin. Other ways include exercise and meditation which helps you ease your mind and helps in proper functioning of your brain. Last but not the least, food is an important factor.
Foods to fix happy hormones
Proteins must be in the focus to attain the necessary levels of tryptophan and serotonin. Some of the protein-rich foods are provided below:
- Curd and rice: Curd and rice is the most popular food for curing your bad mood habits. Curd contains tryptophan and rice contains carbohydrates. Serotonin is produced by tryptophan but it cannot cross the barriers of the brain in order to make us happy. Here, rice plays the main part, as a source of carbs it lets the amino acid to the brain. Hence, giving you a feeling of satisfaction and happiness.
- Eggs: Eggs are highly nutritious and are a rich source of proteins which helps in producing tryptophan. It increases blood plasma levels of tryptophan and is known to bear amazing antioxidant properties. It produces choline, a nutrient which helps building cell membranes. The main antioxidants include lutein and zeaxanthin which are good for eye health.
- Chicken: Chicken provides high amounts of protein and is low in calories. Chicken breast is the best part to opt for as it the lowest in calories and provides the most amount of proteins as compared to other parts. It also contains vitamins like vitamin B3 and B6 which aids the formation of red blood cells and provides immunity while also contributing to the formation of serotonin.
- Tofu: Tofu is a good source of proteins, which help in the formation of tryptophan. It is prepared from condensed soy milk and contains isoflavones which are known for many health benefits including good bone health, proper functioning of brain, etc. It is good for heart as it helps improving blood cholesterol and also helps in reducing the chances of cancer causing agents.
- Nuts and seeds: Nuts like almonds, walnuts, apricots and seeds like pumpkin seeds and sesame seeds are good in fibres. They are a good source of vitamins and antioxidants which help in lowering risks of heart diseases, cancer and respiratory problems. They contain tryptophan which initiates the synthesis of serotonin and boosts your mind.
- Salmon: Salmon is a fatty fish rich in omega-3 fatty acids and is a good source of protein. It helps in balancing cholesterol and blood sugar levels. It is high in B vitamins which helps in controlling inflammation and also provides good amounts of potassium and selenium which is known for improving bone health and thyroid function. The amount of B vitamins are known for boosting the levels of serotonin, the happy hormone.
- Avocado: Avocados contain a vitamin called vitamin B3 which is known for serotonin boosting factors. It is also good in omega-3 fatty acids and are highly nutritious. They are loaded with fibres and contain more potassium which helps in regulating blood pressure levels. It also helps in lowering down bad cholesterol levels.
- Spinach: Spinach contains magnesium which makes you feel energetic during bad moods. It helps in increasing phenylethylamine which is basically found in most anti-depressants which lead to the increase in serotonin levels and makes you feel good and happy. It a healthy green vegetable rich in iron content.
Over to you
Include protein-rich foods in your diet and give your body a happy and healthy start! These foods provide ample amounts of protein and other essential nutrients which are beneficial for your body to function properly.
Like this Article ?
Share it with your friends and loved ones: