The Six Most Common Cravings and What To Do About Them?
By Nmami Agarwal
‘Food cravings’ is not the once in a blue moon experiences. In fact, it is something that most of us come across in one way or the other. Many of us ascribe these cravings to sub-standardized self-control.
But this justification needs to be re-framed as cravings are not about you being weak or lacking discipline; they are one among your body’s ways and methods, telling you that it needs something from you. The human body have an intricate system of balances and signals that stays vigilant about its functioning.
So here are the six most common cravings, with a way to re-engineer them.
Craving #1: Salty and Crunchy Food.
- Potential Reason: Anger, stress orresentment creeping into your brain or the calcium deficiency in the body could be the trigger.
- Solution: Begin your day with exercise to crush all the stress out and supplement your body with adequate water, along with fresh fruits (apples, celery and carrots).Reach out for kale chips and non-salted air-popped popcorn.
Craving #2: Chocolate.
- Potential Reason: Attachment to an emotional place or a particular emotion and magnesium deficiencycan cause an urge to grab chocolates.
- Solution: Switch to smoothie made with some seasonal fruit (apples, pear) or servings of dark chocolate in moderation (can also have dark chocolate milk shake with coconut sugar) and leafy greens and whole grains to subdue your unwanted love for chocolates.
Craving #3: Sugar.
- Potential Reason: Low on calories (when you choose sugar over other items because sugar gives you quick energy), low-fat/fat-free foods, and imbalance in your gut health can be the causative agents.
- Solution: Eliminate all processed foods and try putting unsweetened almond milk in your coffee instead of a creamer, or have a piece of fruit as a snack! Add in probiotic-rich foods like green peas, butter milk and green olive (Organic) for good gut health.
Craving #4: Dairy.
- Potential Reason: Vitamin A or D and Calcium or magnesium deficiency along with stress, loneliness or a need for an emotional connection makes the dairy (or ice creams) call your name louder.
- Solution: If you can tolerate then add unpasteurized, raw dairy (amino acids in milk act like opiates to relax us) else nut or coconut-based products and creamy food like guacamole, hummus, etc. can get you the solution. Taking sun walks and going into deeper solution to the feeling of being lonely can get you away from milk.
Craving #5: More Food in Spite of Being Full.
- Potential Reasons: Insulin resistance or food into lerances can be one reason for eating more or you may simply have an unrestricted eating habit.
- Solution: Learn to regulate your sugar levels with dietary changes like adding sugar substitutes (e.g.Jaggery) and cutting on refined sugar consumption. Exercise daily, drink sufficient water and rely on proteins to modulate your habit of eating more.
Craving #6: Meat.
- Potential Reason: Amino acid or B12 deficiency or anaemic (iron deficient) are few ticked boxes when reasoning your affinity for meat.
- Solution: The best way to start is with a bone broths or collagen powder added to drinks, smoothies or soups, sufficient protein in your diet chart can make a genuine peace with your cravings for meat.
Over to You:
Re-think about the choices you hang around to first have a temporary solution to fix your unreasonable liking for a particular food and eating habits. And then a bit of work on daily basis can revamp it completely.
Like this Article ?
Share it with your friends and loved ones: