By Nmami Agarwal
It’s interesting how these brain like nuts- Walnuts are immensely laden with extensive health benefits and hence, appropriate to say a “power-house” of a human body. Also, the composition of life enhancing nutrients found in walnuts make them the perfect healthful snack in comparison of chips and crackers available in supermarkets with health promising tag lines. So, let’s dig into the nutritional breakdown of walnuts and know the health benefits we can enjoy by the consumption of these nuts.
Composition of walnuts is of 65% fat and 15% protein. These nuts are the richest nuts in polyunsaturated fats (PUFA) having relatively high omega-3 fatty acid known as alpha-linolenic acid (ALA). Also, walnuts are significantly rich in an omega-6 fatty acid known as linoleic acid. On the other end, they are an exceptional source of numerous vitamins and minerals which includes vitamin E, B6, copper, manganese, phosphorus and folic acid. Nonetheless, walnuts are considered as one of the richest sources of antioxidants such as ellagic acid, ellagitannins, catechin and melatonin adding the body in several ways.
Now, it’s time to look into the health benefits of walnuts. Have a look!
- Enhance Brain Functioning: Walnuts offer impending benefits for both brain health and brain functioning due to phytochemicals and high levels of polyunsaturated fats found in them. Omega-3 fatty acid plays a major role by reducing oxidative stress in the brain and also improves brain signaling and neurogenesis. Furthermore to it, good fats including other important nutrients like vitamin E, ellagic acid and folate found in walnuts contribute to neuro-protection and optimal memory functioning.
- Supports Heart Health: Walnuts for improved heart health are no exception! In fact, several studies shows that having a handful of walnuts can combat the risk of developing heart diseases by improving the functioning of blood vessel, lowering LDL and inflammation. Hence, inclusion of walnuts helps prevent coronary heart diseases by supplying a healthy lipid flow.
- Provides A Healthy Looking Skin: Incorporating handful of walnuts boost vitamin E levels in the diet which is particularly responsible for improving skin health by keeping age related skin issues like fine lines and wrinkles at bay. Also, nourishing fats present in walnuts magnetize moisture from the air and sooths the dry skin. Such healthy fats also play a role in protecting the skin against harmful UV rays.
- Scavenge Free-Radicals: Walnuts ranking at second number in the list of ‘antioxidant-rich’ foods with rare powerful antioxidants like quinone juglone, flavonol morin and tannin tellimagrandin showcase remarkable free-radical scavenging command. These mentioned antioxidants also helps in preventing liver damage due to unwanted toxins present in body.
- Reduces The Risk Of Type-II Diabetes: People distressed from type-II diabetes can consume walnuts on the regular basis without any worry about weight gain as these nuts are consists of high levels of polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats. Studies also say that consumption of walnuts is inversely relative to the risk of developing type-II diabetes.
Over to you
Next, when you go to the super market, instead of picking up junk like chips and flavored biscuits opt for walnuts as they are considered as the ‘power food’ since they are also believed to improve the body stamina while fulfilling you hunger pangs.