Super foods for Diabetes
By Nmami Agarwal
A healthy diet is must for everyone but when you’re diabetic, you need to look more cautiously about what you eat and when you eat. A diabetic diet can be simply the one which includes the healthiest food in moderation at regular meal time. The plan is to improvise a diet that helps in controlling blood sugar (glucose), managing weight and controlling risk factors for heart and kidney disease.
So let’s have a look at foods fitting best in your plate
- Bitter gourd (karela): It is known for its anti-diabetic properties as it contains charantin which helps in lowering the blood-glucose and also an insulin-like compound known as polypeptide-p. Having its fresh unsweetened juice with empty stomach in the morning can help controlling diabetes miraculously.
- Turmeric: They lash the body with powerful health benefits and is a part of Indian kitchen since ages. They can lower inflammation and blood sugar levels. Most importantly they also help in putting healthy kidneys in diabetic patients. To boost its absorption they should be complemented with black pepper.
- Garlic: Garlic is known to a good source of vitamins B-6 and C. Vitamin B-6 is involved in carbohydrate metabolism. Several studies have cemented the fact that garlic can reduce blood sugar and LDL cholesterol besides being very effective at reducing blood pressure. It is recommended to consult a doctor before starting any garlic supplements or if you wish to have it fresh then you must let the chopped garlic sit for at least 5 minutes to allow allicin, one of its major components, to be at its highest concentration. This will tend to enhance the herb’s potential health benefits.
- Flaxseeds: It contains magnesium, fiber, and omega-3 fatty acids and tremendously assists in regulating blood sugar levels, improving gut health and insulin sensitivity. Basically, a flax seed contains mucilage, or gum — a gluey, gel-forming fiber that can slow the digestion process and allow the glucose from foods to be digested and released into the blood more slowly. Make sure you don’t have it more than 1 teaspoon of flax seeds in a day and consult your nutritionist before adding them to your diet.
- Jamun: It is a super fruit for diabetics. It has been known for its assistance in improving insulin activity and sensitivity. Apart from this, it also addresses digestive disorders. This fruit is made up of 82% water and 14.5% carbohydrates. It contains no sucrose and has the hypoglycemic effect that helps to reduce blood and urine sugar levels. Besides the pulp, the seed of Jamun is also known to be very beneficial in controlling diabetes.
Some points to count on:
- Replacement of sweetened drinks with water.
- Reduction in sodium intake.
- Rope in low fat or fat-free dairy products.
- Increase in vegetable intake.
- Huge cuts on trans and saturated fats.
Over to you
Learning everything about food is not required but having a big picture and understanding nuances about the food on your plate can help you go along with a healthy life. Creating a meal plan and sticking to it with comfortable counting carbs is the idea for diabetes.
Like this Article ?
Share it with your friends and loved ones: