By Nmami Agarwal
April 2, 2018
Looking for a nutritious yet delicious breakfast option? This blog is for all the health conscious people who want to have healthy and nutritious breakfast and try new dishes each time. Mushroom and spinach toastie is a perfect combination with so many health benefits and nutrients. There is no doubt in the nutritious value of this superdish. You can include corn also as per your preferences.
Spinach and Mushroom toastie
- Servings – 1 piece
- Calories – 245 kcal
- Basic white sauce
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1 tbsp. whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp. butter/oil
- 1 tsp dry herbs
- 1/2 tsp. crushed black pepper
Salt as desired
- Filling – 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2-4 mushrooms wiped clean, trimmed and sliced
- 2-3 leaves of Spinach
- 1 Slice of multigrain bread
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves (to taste), minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
White sauce –
- Boil 1 cup milk and keep aside. Heat another pan and add butter/oil in it. Add whole wheat flour and fry for 2-3 minutes on slow heat, keep stirring continuously to avoid burning the flour.
- Pour one tbsp. of hot milk each time to the flour and mix well making sure there is no lump in it. Use the whole one cup of milk in a similar way and make a sauce of thick consistency. Take off the flame.
- Add salt, crushed black pepper, herbs (dried oregano/thyme or any other herb), chilli flakes, and cooked white sauce and mix well.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add sliced mushrooms and sauté for few minutes till they soften a little.
- Add the chopped spinach leaves, chopped garlic and mix. Cook for a minute.Add thyme and pepper and cook for another 1-2 minutes. The spinach will be wilted by now and mushroom little softened.
- Grill the bread slices on a grill pan. Or you can also simply toast the bread.
- Once toasted/grilled apply 1 tablespoon of white sauce on top of each slice. Top with the prepared veggies.
Over to you:
Spinach is loaded with phytonutrients and Mushrooms are rich in Vitamin D and together they make a filling breakfast dish. This recipe is great is high on nutrients and low on calories.
Try out this quick and lip-smacking breakfast for yourself to kickstart your day!