By Nmami Agarwal
July 11, 2018
This is a spinach sauce recipe that is simple, quick, healthy and flavourful. This sauce is made with whole wheat flour and low-fat milk giving it a creamy, delicious taste and healthy. It is a must try recipe for kids who are a bit fussy when it comes to food as it’s the best way to sneak in some healthy food down their gullet.
Nutritional benefits: – The green leafy spinach is an extremely nutrient-rich vegetable contains potassium, magnesium, vitamins B6, B9, and E. It contains high amounts of carotenoids, antioxidants, vitamin K, folic acid, iron, and calcium. Switching to whole grain pasta gives you some quality of vitamins and minerals. Whole grain pasta rich in B vitamins and minerals, such as copper, selenium, magnesium, and manganese. Milk as one of the main ingredients contributes several nutrients into the dish which includes calcium, protein, potassium, phosphorus, vitamin D, B12.
Ingredients for sauce
- Spinach – 50 gram
- Low-fat milk – 1 cup
- Whole wheat flour- 1 tbsp.
- Butter/oil-1 tsp.
- Dry herbs-1 tsp
- Crushed black pepper- 1/2 tsp.
- Salt to taste
- Oregano -1/2 tsp
- Chilli flakes -1/2 tsp
Ingredient for pasta
- Whole wheat penne pasta- 25
- Onion – 5 gram
- Mushroom – 15
- Red Capsicum-5
- Yellow capsicum-5
- Green capsicum- 5
- Broccoli- 10
- Garlic- 1 clove
For white sauce:
- Boil 1 cup milk and keep aside. In another pan add butter/oil in it then add whole wheat flour and fry for 2-3 minutes on slow heat, keep stirring continuously to avoid burning the flour.
- Pour one tbsp. of hot milk each time to the flour and mix well making sure there is no lump in it. Use the whole one cup of milk in a similar way and make a sauce of thick consistency. Take off the flame.
- Grind the spinach and add it to white sauce and mix it well.
- Add salt, crushed black pepper, chilli flakes, and cooked white sauce and mix well.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions.
- Sauté all the vegetables in olive oil.
- Mix veggies in the sauce and transfer pasta into it.
- Mix it well and enjoy hot healthy spinach sauce pasta.
Over to you:
Whatever your kid’s aversion to spinach, this recipe will tempt them to have more spinach. It is a smart and delicious way to include this power veggie into their diet.