By Nmami Agarwal
September 11, 2018
This spinach chickpea sandwich is a perfect nutritional package for your heart, christened with all the vitals required to keep your heart pumping and fill your hunger cravings. It takes hardly a few minutes to prepare with listed ingredients and can be great at dinners. Plus, you can have that grand Mediterranean meal feeling while having it.
Spinach is an extremely beneficial vegetable laden with high amounts of carotenoids, vitamin C and K, folic acid and calcium. Antioxidants in it pitch in for good health of eyes and vital in preventing cancers. Spinach also helps in bursting the stress out. Chickpea is decent in protein and fibre content who work synergistically to slow digestion helping in controlling your appetite. They are also a great source of plant-based proteins. Being rich in Magnesium and Potassium, Chickpeas boost heart health and also aids in regulating blood sugar.
- Red onion, very thinly sliced- 20g
- Red wine vinegar- ½ tsp
- Virgin olive oil- 5g
- Garlic, very thinly sliced- 2 cloves
- Low-sodium chickpeas, rinsed- 15g
- Spinach, thick stems discarded- 30g
- Pita bread, halved and toasted- 4 Pcs
- Kosher salt and pepper
- Greek yoghurt, for serving
Calories: 172 kcal
Protein: 5.2 grams
Fat: 6.6 grams
Carb: 23 grams
- Combine onion and 1 teaspoon oil in a bowl and let it be for some time until its ready to use, with some intermittent tossing.
- Add garlic and cook, stirring in between until starting to turn golden brown for 1 to 2 minutes. Add chickpeas, half the spinach and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper and cook, tossing, until beginning to wilt, about 1 minute. Add the remaining spinach and continue cooking, tossing until just wilted, 1 to 2 minutes and then remove from heat.
- Fill the pitas with this delicious mixture and top it with some onion.
- Serve with yoghurt, if you wish.
Over to you:
This meal takes into consideration the health of your heart and ends your day with optimum nutrition and that’s how it becomes one of the best serves on your table. So, how about trying it this weekend?