How to prepare healthy rice kissed with green and goodness
By Nmami Agarwal
Palak Paneer, Sarson da Saag, Aloo Palak, Kofta curry — North Indians love Spinach in all its humble glory. However, cooking spinach is not so easy. It often means hours of preparation. So, here we are sharing one of the easiest ways to enjoy spinach when you are on ‘time-budget’ without compromising on its taste or goodness. Let’s face it, we all know overcooking degrades the nutritional value of any leafy vegetable.
Shall we begin?
Rice tossed with spinach and spices
What you need:
- 2 cups of cooked Rice
- 10-15 Spinach leaves, chopped
- 1 tsp of Cumin seeds
- 1 tsp of Ginger, grated
- 1 small Tomato, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp of Turmeric powder
- 1 tsp of Sambar powder
- 1 tsp of Garam masala powder
- 2 tbsp of Sesame oil
- Salt as per taste
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Nutritional benefits: A sumptuous plate full of healthy carbs, fats, fibres, and lots of Iron.
Best enjoyed with: Fresh tadka Raita
How you cook:
- Take a heavy-bottomed pan and heat oil over medium heat.
- Add cumin seeds and toss till golden. Add ginger and sauté.
- Transfer tomatoes to the pan, add turmeric powder and sauté.
- Once the tomatoes have softened, add chopped spinach and salt. Cover the pan and let the spinach steam on its own.
- Turn the heat to high as soon as spinach leaves its water. Let it evaporate.
- Add sambar powder and other spices and toss.
- Transfer cooked rice. Turn the heat to low, cover the pan and let it simmer.
- Keep tossing in between so that the rice absorbs all green colour and flavour.
- Serve hot with cool tadka Raita.
In the same way, you can add beetroot to your rice to turn it pink and healthy, or mangoes to make it yellow and sweet.
Over to you
Rice cooked in this way are normally known as Palak rice, but you can give it your own twist to make it healthier and tastier. Tell us how you do it in the comments below.
Like this Article ?
Share it with your friends and loved ones: