Light Food to Fight Dark Circles
By Nmami Agarwal
June 1, 2018
Mornings can be a pain when you see those under-eye dark patches. To get rid of these we all tend to spend more time on concealing or treating it using makeup products which are not a permanent solution. Rather than looking for such temporary treatments, the root cause of the same should be dealt with. Dark circles not only make you look older than your age but also exhausted and unhealthy. Any changes that happen under the layers of skin are clearly visible on the surface and especially under the eyes as it is an extremely delicate part compared to rest of the body.
Some of the reasons that cause dark circles under eyes may vary from inheritance factors, stress, lack of proper sleep, excessive exposure to sun, dehydration, poor diet and casual lifestyle to hormonal changes. When these dark circles are not treated on time can become difficult to cure at a certain point. So, before you jump on the natural ways to keep dark circles away you must also be aware of the fact that clinical treatments may not suit everyone and might have little or more side effects due to the fragile skin composition beneath eyes.
- Enrich your diet with Vitamin K- The beautifying agent! – Add on regular intake of all the dark green leafy vegetables such as broccoli, sprouts, spinach and cabbage to prevent and get rid of dark circles. Vitamin K is an essential nutrient which keeps a healthy blood circulation in the body, treating dark circles while it conceals skin from getting darker. Therefore, it is important to
maintain continuous blood flow under eyes to keep the skin lighten and even and prevent the occurrence of dark circles.
- Hydrate with H20 – Water the most simple, yet an effective way to keep these dark circles away. Give an adequate supply of 2-3 liters to your system for reducing dark circles and puffiness around your eyes. Now when it comes to hydration, don’t stick to the plain water, but incorporate fluids such as infused waters (cucumber/ mint/apple/ lemons and cinnamon), coconut water, mint lemonades or jal- jeera.
- Eat those Cucumbers – This beautifying vegetable works wonders for your eyes. Its high water content helps in hydrating your skin and fight against these dark patches. Cucumbers are a true example of classic beauty agents which has collagen-boosting silica and skin – strengthening sulfur helping to increase the elasticity of blood vessels and thereby removing dark circles. So choose to add a generous amount of cucumbers in your diet or use thin – cool slices to ease out the swelling and puffiness around your eyes.
- Regulating those iron stores – Low iron diet often results in poor oxygenation in body tissues which in turn effects and results in the dark patchy skin under your eyes. Therefore, it’s recommended to have an ample amount of iron in your dietary plan to get rid of these. Have food such as nuts, seeds, lean meat, eggs, pulses, and beans are the foods rich in iron that can be added to your prevention and cure list of dark circles.
- Pump up with Vitamin A – Stalk your daily diet with yellow-orange colored fruits and veggies such as papaya, mangoes, peaches, pumpkins, bell peppers, and apricots. The Vitamin A is known to have the anti-aging property which can help to maintain your damaged skin tissues causing skin thinning and wrinkles. It also aids to get rid of these dark under-eye patches.
Along with the rich foods in your diets, here are some home remedies that can help in better results:
- Relax a little with sliced potato – Being considered a rich source of vitamin A & C, anti-oxidant properties and other enzymes placing sliced potato helps nourishing and relieving the under eye area from dark rings as it’s also a natural bleaching agent which lightens the skin when used regularly. Slice down two thin layers of fresh and chilled potato and place it above your eyes for about 20-25 minutes. The coldness of it will reduce the inflammation of vessels under eyes and minimize those dark and unappealing rings.
- Sleep tight! – The night is an essential time when our skin undergoes regeneration, renewal, and repair. Whereas, anyone who tends to spend more time on the computer, smartphone or screens, in general at night rather than sleeping is most likely to witness under-eye dark circles. To prevent or to cure them, proper sleep between 7-8 hours at the right time is necessary.
- Massage with argan oil – Use of argan oil has shown to accelerate skin firmness and repairs the hydro-lipid layer of skin curing dark circles and fine lines under eyes. Gently massage your under eye portion with few drops of argan oil few minutes before you go to bed, leave it overnight and rinse it with cold water next morning.
Over to you
Dark circles might seem like a small thing, but it drastically ruins charm and increases tiredness in eyes making an individual under confident at times. It becomes a problematic ailment when not cured at an initial stage due to the dead skin tissues. So, don’t end up taking dark circles for granted and follow any of the above listed natural ways to keep dark circles at bay. Rest of you can share with someone who wonders too, of such preventions and cures.