Let your Palate Taste the World Without Gaining Weight
By Nmami Agarwal
The food-loving globe traveler.
Do you wish to travel to eat and satisfy your taste buds, your stomach and your heart at the same time?
Here’s a bit of advice for you.
Healthy eating is no easy, there are temptations around every corner and it’s difficult to stay on the right track .If you’re really health conscious, you must prefer a healthy food joint. The happy taste buds shouldn’t upset your stomach much!. Read ahead to know the dream destinations you can travel to, and know the delicious and dreamy food they are known for: their specialties! Also, the must-try nutritious and healthy food joints that are worth every buck and every minute of yours.
1 .BANGKOK, THAILAND
Thai food is celebrated across the globe. Get ready to be impressed by flavors of Bangkok’s noteworthy dishes.
Green Papaya Salad: Garlic, sugar, fish sauce, lime, and tamarind juice all go into the making of this mouthwatering salad. Called Som Tum, it boasts of being a perfect Thai meal.Freshly shredded green papaya and carrots, chilies, peanuts, tomatoes and sticky rice are combined with several flavors.
- KhaoSoi (the noodle soup): Chickenor tofu is slow-cooked in a creamy, coconut-based curry with fried noodles to top it all, and this serves as a noodle soup unlike any other.
- Tom KhaGai: This soup consists of chicken cooked in creamy coconut milk, is garnished with lemongrass, ginger etc. A lot of Thai specialties have coconut milk as their denominator. However, this chicken coconut soup outshines a lot of them.
- Pad See Eiu: This stir-fried flat noodles is cooked to perfection with the meat of your choice and soy sauce, garlic, eggs. It is seasoned with chili flakes, sugar, white pepper and vinegar. While Pad Thai is Thai’s best and favorite noodle, pas see eiu will definitely leave a long lasting taste.
- KaengMusSaMun: While Bangkok is widely known for its curries, none can rival the delicious massaman curry. Tender potatoes, onions, and coconut milk are cooked to perfection with chicken and Massaman curry paste.
- Happy Eating: Where in Bangkok?
Known as the Raw Food Café, Rasayana Retreat is a holistic health center specialized in weight loss programs. The place offers a variety of Thai cuisines that are healthy and tasty at the same time. With their slogan, “healthy eating is happy eating”, Kumi Restaurant is determined to change the perception that healthy eating equals boring eating. It practices a market-to-table concept to ensure every item contains fresh produce and high quality ingredients.
2. PARIS, FRANCE
In to- do lists for Paris, keep time to indulge in these delicious French cuisines.
- Baguette: Paris is the place on Earth with the highest density of top-quality, artisanal baguettes. This French bread is something you can snack on anytime, anywhere while touring the city.
- Croque-monsieur: One of the truly native foods of Paris is the croque-monsieur, a crisp and oozy cheese sandwich moistened by Béchamel sauce. Extra hungry? You can get the croque-madame, it has a fried egg on top.
- Croissant: This buttery pastry, named for its crescent shape shall leave you spell bounded by its smell when you walk past any bakery in Paris.
- Street-stand crêpes: Ideal to eat on the go, the crêpe is indeed a lovely treat for an afternoon snack. Though you may be tempted to try all kinds of stuffing, serious aficionados stick to the beurre-sucre (butter and sugar) for the true, unadulterated crêpe experience.
- Paris-Brest:The wheel-shaped pastry is garnished with praline buttercream and sprinkled with caramelized almonds. If you love sweets, it is a bliss for you and you need not think twice to try this.
- Happy Eating: Where in Paris?
Looking for a gluten-free bakery in Paris that doesn’t compromise on quality?Chambellandis exactly that. The seeded loafs here are crunchy, packed of nutrients and simply delicious. It offers an amazing lunch menu too.
Bob’s Kitchen is a great vegetarian restaurant in Paris set in a rustic spot with shared tables and homemade wholesome cooking. There are three locations in the city, each one with a different focus. Bob’s juice bar specializes in cold pressed juices, Bob’s Kitchen in savory dishes and Bob’s Bake Shop in salads and bagels.
3. TOKYO, JAPAN
Being Japan’s political center for over four centuries, Tokyo has exerted great influence on Japanese cuisine.It is renowned as one of the world’s most exciting dining destinations and features a wide range of both local and regional Japanese cuisine.
- Nigirizushi: It originated as a fast-food dish in Tokyo. Consisting of a piece of seafood put onto a small ball of rice, it takes much less time and effort to prepare than more traditional sushi dishes .You can plan to visit the Tsukiji Fish Market to get the fresh sushi.
- Soba: Soba noodles (buckwheat noodles) are a popular dish in many regions of Japan. In Tokyo, they can be found all across the city today, including standing soba eateries and establishments. The dipping sauce used in Tokyo is traditionally relatively thick, and you’re encouraged to dip noodles into it only lightly.
- Chankonabe: It is a healthy, protein-rich dish that contains mainly fish or chicken and seasonal vegetables. The hot pot dish is known as the diet of sumo wrestlers.
- Monjayaki: It’s a pancake made of flour and water, small pieces of seafood and meat cooked on a hot grill mixed with sliced cabbage. The Monjayaki Street is the best place to try the dish and get a pinch of nutrition on flavor.
- Tsukudani: They are small pieces of food (seafood, meat or seaweed) that are simmered in a mixture of soy sauce and sweet sake to preserve them. You can enjoy them as an accompaniment to a bowl of cooked rice.
- Happy Eating: Where in Tokyo?
Located on a quiet corner in the beautiful Omotesando area, TAMANA SHOKUDO is known for being consistently creative, delicious and preparing beautifully presented organic food dishes. The organic salad dishes at L.S Cafe are great and are very big compared to the price you pay. This stylish space offers a comfortable counter and outdoor terrace seating to enjoy nice organic dining.
4. SAN SEBASTIAN, SPAIN
This coastal city in Spain is a dream gastronomic destination.The city is supplied with an amazing array of fresh ingredients and the Basques definitely know how to make the most of their incredible bounty.
- Alubias de Tolosa: Spain produces some fantastic beans and there are a number of towns known specifically for their bean and bean dishes. Cooked in a simple vegetable broth then traditionally served with cabbage, morcilla and guindilla peppers, Alubias de Tolosa are truly outstanding.
- Bacalaopilpil: It is a perfect example of what Basque cooking is about .Just a few ingredients, bacalao (saltcod) , garlic and olive oil combined with a genius technique creates something magnificent.
- Talo con chistorra: Talo is the Basque version of a soft corn tortilla .San Sebastian has its beloved local sausage called chistorra. Grilled chistorra is quiteis a Basque staple available in every restaurant in San Sebastián.
- Brandada de bacalao: Every region has its own idea howto prepare, what should go in it and what it should be served with but it’s always a simple emulsion of salt cod, garlic and olive oil. It was originally served as a dip with crusty bread but now there are a lot of new forms, all of them tasting great, certainly!
- Torrija: There’s something delicious about baked egg custard, especially when it’s with the bonus of a crunchy caramelized crust. Torrijas are traditionally eaten around Easter more often.You’ll be more than happy to eat them any time of the day and at any time of the year.
- Happy Eating: Where in San Sebastian?
This hole in the wall spot by the name DAKARA can be easily missed but you should make sure not to. The place is wonderful and anything and everything you have here is delicious enough to send a serious foodgasm to the tip of your tongue. A traditional pintxos bar bustling with locals, playing great music with friendly and welcoming staff, ATARI consistently serves the best mouthwatering meals.
5. NEW YORK, USA
If you’re planning to go to Singapore, plan what you would like to have there.
- Hainanese chicken rice: Steamed chicken served with rice cooked in chicken stock is a dish that makes for a quick, fulfilling lunch. Good quality chicken stock is crucial.Some dipping sauce over the chicken can be poured togive it a go.
- Laksa: It is prepared with rice noodles in spicy coconut curry soup with shrimp, fish cakes, egg and chicken meat – a cross between Malay and Chinese cuisine.Laksa has many variants, the one in Singapore is katonglaksa.
- Satay: Skewered grilled meat with rice cake, peanut sauce and cucumber-chili makes this dish which has a strong turmeric scent and flavor. This dish makes an excellent starter or party platter.
- Oyster Omelette: Grab it on the go: this isan egg omelet mixed with flour and fried with small oysters garnished with coriander leaves.
- Barbecued Stingray: Also known as Spicy Banana Leaf Stingray, it is a Malaysian – Singaporean seafood dish. It features stingray meat slated in thick sambal sauce –with tomatoes, chilies and shrimp paste as base ingredients. This has become a popular seafood dish served at hawker stalls in Singapore.
- Happy Eating: Where in Singapore?
The bosses of the café, Aloha Poke were vacationing in Hawaii when they first ate the Poke (seasoned raw tuna) .They couldn’t get over with its delight and decided to bring it to Singapore with a healthy and delicious salad/rice bowl .They then designed their outlet to remind customers of the perfect sunny day on Waikiki Beach in Honolulu. You must surely have this placeto- be -visited places in Singapore. The main focus of DosiRak has always been food with value and a balanced meal. The owners believe that every dish has value but having it in moderation will provide your body with the right value. Hence, Dosirakserves healthy and tasty food with the right portion of carbs, vegetables and protein.
7. DUBAI, UAE
Dubai can amaze you, its treat to eyes with the real treat.
- Al Harees: Made after lengthy preparations, this simple and elegantly delicious food item never misses to register its place in your taste buds! It is made by adding a pinch of salt in a pot of wheat, adding meat in it and cooking the whole mixture till it gains a coherent smoothness of texture and taste. The dish is then baked to serve.
- Falafel: This recipe in essence is a modified version of French fries, having Arabic color to the French origin. Usually served as a side dish, Falafel is a combination of chickpeas and various spices and you would definitely like it.
- Shawarma: This famous and perhaps the most eaten foods of Dubai has gained immense popularity all around Asia .This dish is made from chicken meat, accompanied by colorful array of vegetables, pickle and garlic sauce.
- Tabbouleh: Associated with this recipe are the traditions of UAE and you must give it a try to know traditions of taste. A vegetarian version of Arabian Cuisine, this dish is a salad made from tomatoes, green onions and cucumber and is seasoned with fresh mint and lemon juice. It is healthy and quenches hunger in a balanced way.
- Mehalbiya: With sprinkling of rosewater and pistachios, this is a healthy pudding liked by all age groups. Have a refreshing day with a refreshing recipe.
- Happy Eating: Where in Dubai?
The vegetarian café, 77 Veggie Boutiquein Dubai places a strong emphasis on healthy sourcing when selecting its ingredients. As such, coffees and teas are organic and recipes use whole wheat. There is also a calorie count on every dish, making it easier for you to watch your intake while pleasing your tongue. Inside a large organic grocery store on the edge of TECOM in Dubai, is a dine-in café, the Biorganic Café. You’ll find classic, international favorites on the menu, but the ingredients are organic and dishes contain no artificial additives, chemicals or preservatives.
8. SCOTLAND, UK
Scotland is a pantry full of fresh produce. Know its culinary highlights:
- Porridge: Taste of old Scottish porridge can’t be replaced by any kind of oats or cereals. It is made with salt, not sugar and you must surely give it a try to immerse yourself in healthy Scottish culture.
- Fish and chips: Sit on the beach in Scotland and enjoy the flakiness of fish and fluffy chips. Have it with salt and sauce and you will remember this taste for long.
- Shortbread: A dessert favorite of Scotland since years, shortbread is too delicious to miss. It can be a great accompaniment to a cup of tea.
- Scotch pie: Heard of the famous Scotch Pie Championship? The best bakers compete for the best pie in Scotland – a big deal. Scotch pie has a filling of minced meat and the double crust makes for great pies.
- Leak and Tattie soup: A soup that is healthy enough to please your grandma and keep you warm to protect against unpredictable Scottish weather.
- Healthy Eating: Where in Scotland?
Rawlings ‘love to eat,’ in Scotland where one can actually fall in love with eating. It is an excellent and healthy food joint. Kcal Kitchen on the Glasgow road is a place worth trying. It offers nutritious vegetarian food and the variety of food served shall definitely confuse you.
9. ONTARIO, CANADA
If you’re planning to hit on Canadian cuisine, Ontario is the right place.
- Wild Blueberries: Mother Nature has blessed Ontario with blueberries and why won’t you like to have them in the purest form.
- Canadian Pizza: This Pizza is a thin crust pizza with amazing pizza toppings. Popular flavors include Wayne Gretzky and CronenbergCrash. However, you will find a lot more to choose from.
- Butter Tarts: With a crumbly crust and a creamy center made of butter, eggs, sugar and raisins, it is considered as a staple of Canadian cooking and this simple treat is a must try.
- Corn on the cob: How about spending summers having farm fresh corns in Canada? You can buy cobs by the dozen, then boil them the same day for a sweet healthy treat.
- Burnt end egg rolls: Open ended or the burnt end egg rolls are Montreal style egg rolls but are famous in Ontario as well. Have the best ones at the Golden Palace.
- Happy Eating: Where in Ontario?
With its motto of Fresh Thinking and Healthy Eating: Pita Pit is great joint for you to have quick and healthy food in Canada. Burgernator, located at heart of Kensington Market is a great place to join in the battle of having healthy burgers and probably winning it.
10. MENDOZA, ARGENTINA
No, it’s not just wine, Mendoza has a lot in store for you.
- Tortitas: Traditional to Mendoza, tortitas are small little pastries that are eaten for breakfast or as snacks. They are made of simple ingredients water, flour, butter, yeast and salt and you would love to have them with coffee.
- Tomatican: Talk of flavorful tomatoes and the conversation lands on Mendoza – a city known for variety of tomatoes it has.Tomatican is a traditional meal, much like tomato soup and is made of tomatoes, onions, breadcrumbs, eggs, oregano and salt.
- Humitas: The word ‘humita’ comes from ‘jumint’a,’ name given to a sweet corn bun wrapped in cornhusks, cooked in water. In Mendoza, you will find the Humita made with sweet corn, onions, milk, butter and chili flakes and you can’t dislike them if you like corn.
- Empandas: They are part of the natural heritage of Argentina and can be found at every street corner .You will find multiple types of these baked or fried pastries: chicken, spinach, corn, cheese and can choose the one of your choice.
- Dulce de leche: This toffee like delight made of sweet condensed milk can be used to spread on breads, fruits and cakes. Taste it and you would surely wish to take it home.
- Healthy Eating: Where in Mendoza?
MaríaAntonieta delivers on all fronts for a beautiful experience. Known for its blend of Italian, Mediterranean and Argentinian cuisine, this restaurant serves dishes inspired by international flavors, natural herbs and fresh ingredients. Along with traditional Argentinean favorites such as humitas, the restaurant Patancha serves delicious seafood and is highly recommended.
It’s said, “Travel is the only thing you can spend money on that will make you richer.” And food! How can you not think about good food when you’re on a vacation, visiting good places? Our little piece of advice can be a good help.
Eat well and travel often. Happy Travelling and Happy Eating!
Like this Article ?
Share it with your friends and loved ones: