Lentil-Barley Burgers With Mint Chutney
By Nmami Agarwal
This father’s day surprise your father with lentil-barley burgers with chopped fresh fruits. This recipe turns out as a delightful snack with a crunchy exterior and soft filling inside.
Before we move ahead, have a look at some positive aspect of its main ingredient- lentils. Nutritional benefits of lentils include the ability to boost and maintain heart health, control blood sugar fluctuations which can lead to low energy level and diabetes, helps to lose weight and improve gut health. Barley, on the other hand, is rich in folate, fiber, potassium, and vitamin B6, that support a healthy heart along with lowering the cholesterol levels in your body, thereby lessening the risk of heart problems. Let’s get off to the recipe now.
- Green lentils- 20 grams
- Cooked barley- 20 grams
- Egg whites- 2
- Egg- 1
- Chopped onion- 1 medium
- Grated carrot- ½ medium
- Minced garlic- 2 teaspoons
- Tomato paste- 2 tablespoons
- Salt by taste
- Chili powder- ½ teaspoon
- Ground cumin- 1- ½ teaspoons
- Coarsely ground black pepper- ½ teaspoon
- Dried oregano- ¾ teaspoon
- Finely chopped parsley
- Breadcrumbs- of 2 bread slices
- Water- 1 cup
- Olive oil- 1 teaspoon
Course: Evening Snack
- For fruit salsa, combine the first five ingredients, cover them and refrigerate.
- For burgers, add lentils to the water in a pan and bring it to boil. Cover the pan, reduce the heat and let it simmer for 25 minutes. Drain the water, keep half of the lentils in a bowl and put remaining lentils in a food processor. Process until it gets smooth. Add smoothened lentils to whole lentils in a bowl.
- On medium heat, heat up a non-stick skillet . Coat it with cooking spray. Add onion and carrot; sauté it for 6 minutes while stirring occasionally. Add garlic, tomato paste, cumin, oregano, chili powder, salt. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add that onion mixture to lentils and other remaining ingredients to it, mix well, cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Divide mixture into equal portions, shape each into a thick patty. Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add patties into it; cook each side until browned. Serve it with mint chutney.
Over to you
Add this great snack to plan of father’s day and try making it for your superhero. Also, you can add finely chopped cabbage and chopped spinach to this versatile dish.
Like this Article ?
Share it with your friends and loved ones: