Indian Style Tofu
By Nmami Agarwal
Need something nutritional in short time? Here comes this Indian Curried Tofu which is easy to prepare and takes hardly 40-45 minutes to be served on your table, after you thought of preparing it. Its mouth-watering appearance and aroma will not let your taste buds rest until you have it.
Not only the nutritional content of the treat is taken care of but also the ingredients are chosen such that it doesn’t hurt people with diabetics.
Tofu: Tofu is a food prepared by pressing coagulated soy milk to shape it as cubes. It contains an almost negligible amount of fat, but a great amount of protein. Furthermore, it has very low levels of sodium and almost no cholesterol and there are many studies that have shown affirmative gestures that the intake of soy protein lowers blood sugar and insulin levels considerably.
Turmeric: They flood the body with powerful health benefits and is a compulsory attendant of our kitchen for ages. They can lower inflammation and blood sugar levels. Most importantly they give tremendous effort in keeping healthy kidneys in diabetic patients. They are also an important ingredient when comes to combat with depression and cancer.
Garlic: Garlic is low in calories but rich in vitamin C, vitamin B6 and manganese. Active Compounds in Garlic can reduce blood pressure. It is also well known for improving cholesterol levels, which tends to lower the risk of heart disease.
Flax Seeds: It contains magnesium, rich in fibers, and omega-3 fatty acids. It greatly works in regulating the blood sugar levels, improving gut health and insulin sensitivity. Recent few studies have pillared the fact that flax seed plays a protective role against breast cancer, prostate cancer, and colon cancer.
- 30 grams of extra firm tofu, cubed
- 20 grams of small onion, chopped
- 20 grams of a small tomato, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon garam masala
- 1-2 clove garlic, minced
- 10 grams of cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- Salt; according to taste
- 1 teaspoon of oil
- 1 teaspoon of roasted flax seeds
Course: Lunch or Dinner
Calories: 128.2 Kcal
Protein: 5.4 grams
Fat: 10.66 grams
Carb: 13.05 grams
- Heat two tablespoons oil in a fry pan (Non-sticky) under medium heat.
- Put tofu in the pan and fry until sides are lightly browned and skin is getting more firm on outside ~ it takes around 25 minutes.
- Set the cooked tofu, aside.
- Put 1 teaspoon of oil in the same pan under medium heat.
- When the oil is heated enough add the chopped onion and fry until translucent.
- Mix the chopped garlic and fry it for 30 more seconds.
- Mix turmeric, chilli powder, coriander, cumin powder and garam masala and fry for a few seconds until fragrance erupts.
- Now put tomato in the mixture and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add put the fried tofu to the pan and fry for another 5 minutes or until it gets completely coated with the curried tomato mixture.
- Take it off the stove.
- Add salt according to your taste, a squeeze of lemon and top with chopped cilantro and roasted flax seeds.
Over to you:
Take care of yourself and keep nourished with this delicious easy to cook treat. It has all those vitals can help you stay well even if on diabetics without negating the demands of taste buds.
Like this Recipe?
Share it with your friends and loved ones: