If You are Craving Sweet Foods Then What Can You Have
By Nmami Agarwal
October 3, 2018
Craving is caused by that part of the brain which is responsible for memory, pleasure and reward.The most common foods we usually hop on when we crave sweet are a slice of cake or pie, ladoos, ice-cream, candies etc. as these foods releases a chemical called Serotonin that makes you feel good. Meanwhile, considering, sugar damages blood vessels and can have several health issues. So, it’s also important to abstain yourself from sugar in order to be healthy and disease free.
What Your Sugar Cravings Telling You About Your Health:
Our body is smart, it knows what it needs! So, when you experience the need for sweets (Sweet cravings) is likely, that your body is exhausted and needs some energy boost.
Have you ever noticed that when you crave for sweets, you must have experienced an imbalance in your life such as too much stress, fatigue or some unseen hormonal imbalance? So in that situation- “Stop feeding your body with junk and feed with some real food”.
Your sugar craving is also telling you that you might have an insulin problem or some key ingredients may be missing from your diet. It means you’re not eating enough non-starchy vegetables and fruits and eating too much junk.
Healthy Sweet Alternatives to Consider:
You know with some careful planning you can satisfy your sweet tooth by having a variety of healthier options that incorporates both nutrition and sweetness both in the same plate? Well, yes, of course, you can! For that have look on foods listed below.
- Fruit Chaat– You can make a salad or chaat with your favorite fruits like strawberries, blueberries, banana, grapes etc. Berries are a great source of antioxidants. These antioxidants such as vitamin C and also improves blood sugar and insulin levels. Bananas help you feel fuller and are rich in potassium. Opt for adding more fruits that are high in water content like citrus fruits and berries etc. in your diet. These can help you stay hydrated and also keep bowel movements regular thus reduce the risk of constipation while managing your sweet cravings.
- Dried Dates– Dates are nature’s one of the best sweeteners and have excellent nutrition content. This fruit is the base of many deserts and it can also be very effective when it comes to satisfy your sweet tooth in a healthy way. Dates are worth adding to your diet as these are both tasty and nutritious.
- Nutritious Homemade Sweetened Drinks– Stay away from sodas, energy drinks and alcohol. Drink water, coconut water and natural drinks as much as you can. Instead of tea and coffee go for herbal tea or water that is infused with cucumber, lemon and fresh fruits.
- Plain Yogurt With Cinnamon and Fruits– Plain yogurt is a good source of protein, calcium and vitamin B12. It is packed with probiotics which is great for digestion and fruits are obviously great for your body and skin as they have lots of fiber and nutrients.
- Dark Chocolate– Chocolate is one of the obvious choices when it comes to satisfy your sweet craving. And in moderation dark chocolate has improved many chronic and common health problems. Limit yourself to one or two pieces per serving or you can also enjoy your favorite fruit like a banana dipped in chocolate.
Over to You:
Next time when you are craving for a donut or cupcake why not try one of these healthier alternatives? Because your body might not actually craving sweet but it’s may be a symptom of deficiency of magnesium, sulphur and tryptophan. So, incorporate above-mentioned food in your diet and then hence you can finally control of your cravings instead of letting them control you.