How to Handle Your Cravings?
By Nmami Agarwal
October 5, 2018
Cravings are intense or uncontrollable desires for specific food(s), which is so well built in its influence that, over powering it seems to be an uphill task.
There is a wide range in the varieties of food people crave for but majority of them are processed and junk foods that comes with mouth-watering taste but bears deleterious health effects. Cravings typically last for some minutes (may be ten to fifteen) so, try to distract yourself with something when there is such an urge. In fact, cravings are amongst the prominent reasons, why people have problems in losing weight.
Craving for once or twice, can be managed by the body but it grows to a demon to your health when it becomes a daily affair and goes unnoticed and tenacious. Here we give you some sure shots to blow off your urge that push you to that extra mile of unhealthy eating.
- Be a Pro-Protein: Counting more on proteins may reduce your appetite by helping you feel full and satisfied for longer, which axes down your craving factor to a greater extent. In fact, a study of overweight teenage girls sent out the message that eating a high-protein breakfast reduces cravings significantly.
- Hunt Down Your Craving Triggers: Your cravings are worse when you are stressed or depressed. Manage those situations as the emotional craving is a real phenomenon.You crave what you eat, substituting your triggering food item with fresh fruits or something healthy can be miraculously helpful.This substitution can happen pretty fast as you see emotions are attached to it. Just relax a bit when you are stressed.
- Meals Planned: Plan your meals for the day or upcoming week, an anticipated meal can help regulate the indefinite urge to eat a food and also eliminate the factors of uncertainty and unbidden eating (both of which can cause cravings).Scheduling what to eat and when, canmanageyourhunger, which puts locks on your food temptations.
- Mind-Full Eating: It is a type of meditation in relation to foods available and their eating. Practising this can develop awareness of your eating habits, emotions, hunger, cravings and physical sensations. It segregates cravings and actual physical hunger. This not only adds responsibility in your actions against impulsivity but also makes your eating healthy by delving into healthier options.
- Enough Sleep: Your appetite is coded by hormones. Sleep deprivation disrupts the hormone-appetite mechanism causing poor appetite regulation and strong craving. Getting the right quantity and quality of shut-eye hours (i.e. sleep), can turn your cravings down. Studies have found that sleep-deprived people are up to 55 percent more likely to become obese.
- Take Spinach Extract: Spinach extract (made from spinach leaves) is the “new” tool to handle your cravings.It helps in slow down the fat digestion, which increases the levels of hormones that are responsible for reducing appetite and hunger. Just a small effort of taking 3.7–5 grams of spinach extract with a meal could reduce appetite and cravings for several hours, according to some studies.
Over to You:
A tinge of firm determination can let you win over your inexplicable fondness towards a specific food. Your cravings developed over a time and you can win over it step by step, don’t fast forward it.