By Nmami Agarwal
Store-bought granola bars are very misleading and has eye-catching labels that makes it look worthy to eat, but after scanning the nutrition label you’ll find that many brands are chocked with full of sugar and artificial flavoring. Luckily, our homemade apple granola bars recipe is a sweet snack that has all-natural ingredients and has fewer than five grams of sugar per serving.
Each bar is filled with chucks of dried apple, walnuts, toasted oats, and cinnamon which have numerous health benefits. Oats has high soluble fiber content, high complex carbohydrate, and a rich source of protein. It has low glycemic index which make which provide continued release of energy into the bloodstream, which is necessary for runners. It also offers regular dose of vitamin B and a rich source of vitamins and minerals which makes it most nourishing foods especially for athletes. Apples are low in calories and high in fiber and vitamins C, antioxidants, and phytonutrients, making it a filling snack that keeps the general population and athletes healthy and well.
- 10 grams – rolled oats
- ½ grams unsweetened coconut (shredded)
- 5 teaspoon walnuts(chopped)
- 1-2 dates
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 pod vanilla bean
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg powder
- 15 grams dried apples (chopped)
Calories – 217.1 grams
Proteins – 2.7 grams
Fat – 10.4 grams
Carbohydrates – 28.1 grams
- Place the oats in a blender and blend for about 5 to 10 seconds.
- On a baking sheet, combine the oats, shredded coconut and walnuts and dates. Preheat the oven to 180 degree Celsius.
- Bake the oats mixture in the oven for about 10 minutes, stirring after 5 minutes so that the mixture does not burn.
- Place the dates in a blender and blend it until they are fully combined and form a paste-like consistency.
- In a pan over the medium heat, add the coconut oil, honey, and vanilla and as the liquid heats up, add the date paste into it and mix well until it is well-combined with the mixture.
- In a bowl, mix the toasted oats mixture, chopped apples, cinnamon, nutmeg and prepared dates liquid mixture from the stove. Stir well until it gets completely mixed.
- Now gently press the mixture into a baking tray lined with parchment paper. Cover the mixture with the plastic wrap and chill for at least two hours or until bars become firm and fixed.
- Remove the bars from the refrigerator and cut into 10 bars. Store in an airtight container at the room temperature.
Over to You:
Whether you run, swim, or play team sports like hockey, there are many reasons to add these bars in your training diet. So, from now on, put one of these portable snacks in your gym bag or in the lunch box as it is the perfect way to stay energized on the go.