By Nmami Agarwal
Sushi is love and its one of the healthiest food choice when dining out. You can also try making it at home by following the below mentioned healthy vegetarian recipe. The addition of quinoa to the usual sticky rice rolls adds a burst of whole grain goodness and nuttiness flavor to the recipe which is perfectly paired with crispy and refreshing vegetables.
The rice used to prepare sushi is usually short grained rice which has higher amylopectin content. This rice is stickier and allows holding the sushi form together. Quinoa is one of the healthiest foods which have high fiber, protein along with all essential amino acids. The nori seeds which is used to wrap all the ingredients together is high in iodine, iron, vitamin C, antioxidants, soluble and insoluble fiber, vitamin K, vitamin B-12 and a range of other nutrients which is vital for human health.
- 30 gms uncooked sushi rice
- 15 gms dry quinoa
- 1 cups water
- 1 teaspoon Vinaigrette
- 1/4 teaspoon coconut sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 sheets of nori
- 10 grams asparagus (blanched)
- 10 grams cucumber
- 10 grams carrot
- 10 grams yellow bell pepper
- 10 grams green onions
- Toasted sesame seeds and chia seeds for topping
Calories – 128.2 KCAL
Proteins – 3.6 GRAMS
Fat – 2.1 GRAMS
Carbohydrates – 25.2 GRAMS
- Heat a small pot to medium-high heat and add rinsed quinoa to the pot, while stirring constantly.
- Add water as well as the rice to it and turn the heat to the highest setting.
- Once the water starts to boil, reduce the heat to low and cover it for twenty minutes. Once the rice and quinoa become hot and fluffy, season this with vinegar, salt, and sugar.
- Prepare the veggies while cutting the ends from the asparagus and blanch it briefly in boiling water so that it becomes tender.
- Next cut the julienne of the carrots, bell pepper, and cucumber into thin strips.
- Cut thin strips of green onion as well and cover this with a bamboo mat with plastic wrap and top with a sheet of nori.
- Use a large spoon to spread quinoa and rice in a thin layer at the top of the norisheet.
- At the very end of the sheet, arrange veggies in the compact rows.
- Finally roll the sushi and slice it. Sprinkle with some sesame seeds and serve!
Over to you:
Enjoy these beautiful vegetable sushi rolls with low sodium soy sauce and once you tried the recipe don’t forget to share the pictures with us. Nmami Life wishes you a very Happy New Year; hope you all have a great year ahead. Take care!