Spinach and Beetroot Idli
By Nmami Agarwal
For the love of red, we present something truly delightful and too hard to resist. You hear them right when they say we eat with our eyes first. Here is something very presentable and unique. What is better than one? Two! Red and green go hand in hand and we cannot question that. So, we included spinach and beetroot in the form of idlis. Delight!
Spinach contains fibres and is extremely nutritious. It is a rich source of vitamin C, K, iron, calcium and folic acid. Iron helps create haemoglobin and calcium keeps your bone healthy and strong. Beetroots are great sources of vitamins and minerals like potassium, iron and vitamin C. Vitamin C is an essential nutrient which helps in improving skin health. Beetroots are known to lower down high blood pressure and they also build immunity. Rice is a good source of carbs which provide you ample amount of energy.
- 100 gm rice
- 6-7 leaves of spinach
- 1/2 beetroot (grated)
- 20 gm curd
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp red chilli powder
- Pinch of asafoetida
- 1/2 tsp coriander leaves
- 1/4 tsp black pepper (freshly grounded)
- 1/4 tsp olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Water as required
Course: Breakfast/ Lunch
Calories: 179 Kcal
Fats: 2.6 gm
Proteins: 5.2 gm
Carbs: 31.1 gm
To prepare the batter
- Wash the rice and soak it in enough water for 4-5 hours. Drain the rice and grind it with water into a coarse paste in the mixer.
- Add curd and salt to the batter. It should be of thick dropping consistency. Keep the batter aside.
To prepare spinach mixture
- Wash the spinach leaves and keep aside. Blanch them in hot water for 3 minutes. When cooled, grind them in a blender/mixer.
- Take half of the idli batter in a bowl and transfer the spinach puree into the bowl, add red chilli powder and black pepper. Mix well. Your spinach idli batter is ready.
To prepare beetroot mixture
- Heat a small pan with olive oil. Add mustard seeds and let them sputter. Add asafoetida and grated beetroot.
- Add red chilli powder and black pepper. Sauté for 1 minute.
- In the left idli batter, add this tempering and mix well. Your beetroot idli batter is ready.
To steam the Idli
- Grease the idli mould and pour a spoonful of spinach idli batter in one mould and then the beetroot idli batter in another one.
- Steam them in a steamer for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Over to you
Add colours to your health with these healthy and colourful idlis. You can have 2 idlis at a time. They are easy to prepare and highly nutritious.
Like this Recipe?
Share it with your friends and loved ones: