Pico De Gallo
By Nmami Agarwal
Pico de Gallo or the classic fresh tomato salsa dip is an excellent condiment to serve with baked chips, cutlets, sandwiches or grilled chicken and fish.
Tomato: Tomatoes are the major dietary source of the antioxidant lycopene, which has been linked to many health benefits, including reduced risk of heart disease and cancer. They are also a great source of vitamin C, potassium, folate and vitamin K. They help in boosting immunity and keeping a check on blood pressure levels.
Garlic: Garlic helps in reduction of cholesterol levels, blood pressure, and aids in reduction of heart diseases. It has potent anti-bacterial and anti-microbial properties. It can help fighting common cold and indigestion issues.
Calories: 56 Kcal
Carbohydrates: 6.9 grams
Protein: 1.7 grams
Fat: 2.1 grams
- 2 ripe tomatoes (seeds removed, and finely chopped)
- 1 small onion (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon chopped coriander/ cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- Salt & Pepper (as per taste)
- ½ teaspoon olive oil
- Heat oil in a skillet
- Add onion, and stir fry for 30 seconds
- Toss in tomato, and lime juice. Add salt and pepper.
- Add coriander/ cilantro, and turn off the flame
- You can refrigerate this salsa for up to 2 days.
Note: You can also combine all the ingredients together without using the oil, mix well, and refrigerate for few hours to blend in the flavors before consuming.
Over to you:
Pico de Gallo is also referred to as salsa fresco and it is known for its distinctive flavors. Quite often it is chunkier but we have given our recipe a blended consistency, so that you can add it easily to your favorite pasta.
Like this Recipe?
Share it with your friends and loved ones: