Green Peas Panki
By Nmami Agarwal
Green pea panki is the popular Gujarati snack which is made from rice flour batter mixed with green peas, urad dal flour and many other ingredients to give it a nutritional punch. It is cooked in between two banana leaves. Green peas and urad dal flour added to the rice batter, it makes it look more appealing and enhance its fiber content.
Green peas come from a legume plant that are most often consumed as a starchy vegetable. Green peas are tremendously low in calories and have several vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Also, it’s rich in fiber and protein content which is a filling food, typically because of the high amounts of protein and fiber found in it. Flour used in this recipe- rice and urad dal flour are comparatively the healthy source of quite a
many nutrients responsible for your good health. Particularly, urad dal is rich in protein, calcium, potassium, iron and also has been proven to be useful in mitigating elevated cholesterol levels.
- 25 grams; coarsely crushed green peas
- 10 grams; rice flour (chawal ka atta)
- 10 grams; urad dal (split black lentil) flour
- 10 grams; chopped onion
- 2 tbsp finely chopped coriander (dhania)
- 1 finely chopped green chillies
- Salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp roasted cumin seeds (jeera) powder
- 16 round banana leaves (kele ka patta),) , 125 mm. (5") diameter
- Oil for greasing
Course: Lunch or Breakfast
Calories (per piece) : 49.1 kcal
Protein: 2.56 grams
Carbs: 9.3 grams
Fat: 0.07 grams
- Combine rice flour, green peas, urad dal flour, green chillies, onions, coriander, cumin seeds powder, salt and ¾ cup of water in a deep bowl and mix it all well to make a batter with dropping consistency.
- Apply some oil on one side of a banana leaf and keep it aside.
- Place that banana leaf on the flat and dry surface and then pour 2 tbsp of the batter on it.
- Cover it with another banana leaf and press it gently to get the batter spread evenly in between.
- Now, cook it on a non-stick tava till the time it gets light brown spots on both sides of it and the panki in between peels off the leaves easily.
- Serve hot with green chutney.
Over to you
Try this unique recipe made from easily available ingredients in the market. Rice flour, green peas, banana leaf and urad dal flour are the best of ingredients making this recipe healthy to be added in your menu.
Like this Recipe?
Share it with your friends and loved ones: