Curried Black Lentil
By Nmami Agarwal
Curried black lentil is a healthy soup made with urad dal, healthy veggies and spices. It is good for stomach health and prevents various health problems.
- Black lentil: Black bean has protein, fiber, and magnesium. It lowers bad cholesterol levels and reduces the risk of heart diseases. It aids constipation and bloated stomach. The magnesium in black beans is the key to improve bone health
- Jaggery: Jaggery has vitamins and minerals. It stimulates bowel moments and thus helps prevent and relieve constipation. It is also a natural body cleanser and reduces the workload of the liver. It also fights the symptoms of cold and cough.
- Cooked whole black urad dal = 15 g
- White onion, chopped = 20 g
- Tomato, chopped = 20 g
- 4-5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, freshly grated
- 4-5 curry leaves
- Green jalapeno chili = 5 g
- Black mustard seeds = 5 g
- ¼ teaspoon asafetida (hing)
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1.5 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Jaggery = 2.5 g
- ½ teaspoon salt, to taste
- Musturd oil = 5 ml
- 1 cup of water
- ¼ cup freshly chopped cilantro + some for garnish
Energy – 143.3 kcal
Protein – 9.8 g
Carbohydrate – 13 g
Fat – 8.3 g
- Heat the oil on medium heat in a non-stick pan.
- Add curry leaves in the pot and fry for few seconds. Add olives, jalapenos and sauté them for a few minutes.
- Add water, black lentils, turmeric water, and salt. Bring the soup to a gentle simmer.
- Add jaggery, chopped tomato, ground cumin and lemon juice in the soup.
- Continue to simmer on low heat until the soup becomes thick in consistency.
- Add cilantro and simmer for additional 5 minutes.
- Serve warm.
Over to you
This healthy soup is a perfect combination of a variety of healthy ingredients, herbs and spices, that makes it a complete power packed punch of good health. Give it a try!
Like this Recipe?
Share it with your friends and loved ones: