By Nmami Agarwal
It is a great quick-fix meal, served as a breakfast but can be eaten at any point of day. It gives you a perfect jugaad to use leftover sandwich bread. This recipe is prepared using bread as an upma and is prepared through the same process as rava upma.
Whole wheat bread adds to the amount of fibre in the diet. Cashews add to the texture of the recipe and make it rich in nutrients while peanuts are excellent source of fiber, protein and some key vitamins and minerals.
- 2 whole wheat bread slices
- 1 small tomato
- 1 finely chopped green chilli
- 2 cashew nuts
- ½ finely chopped onion
- ¼ teaspoon mustard seeds
- ¼ teaspoon urad dal
- ¼ teaspoon cumin seeds
- ½ teaspoon mustard oil
- Pinch of turmeric, asafoetida, salt
- Finely chopped coriander leaves
Calories: 250 Cal
Carbs: 36.5 gm
Proteins: 11.9 gm
Fats: 6.2 gm
- Use whole wheat bread in place of white bread. Cut bread slices into pieces or cubes and keep them aside.
- Heat ½ teaspoons oil in a pan over medium flame. Add cumin seeds, mustard seeds and urad dal. When seeds begin to crackle, add curry leaves and asafoetida. Mix them well.
- Add chopped onion, chopped chillies and cashew nuts. Sauté until onion becomes translucent.
- Add tomatoes, turmeric and salt. Mix well. Sauté tomatoes till soft.
- Add one tablespoon of water, mix well and cook for two minutes.
- Add bread pieces. Mix well. Cover the lid and cook over medium flame for two minutes.
- Turn off the flame, remove the lid and garnish with freshly chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve hot.
Over to you
Don’t forget to add this recipe in your to-do list when running late. Pin this easy to make recipe and save it for later. You can also add vegetables like green peas, capsicum, tofu cubes or peanuts and serve it as an evening tea snack.
Like this Recipe?
Share it with your friends and loved ones: