Bengali Doi Maach
By Nmami Agarwal
Fish is the prominent food item of Bengali cuisine and what better you can find than a soft fish cooked in spicy yogurt gravy? With the perfect combination of spices and the goodness of seafood, this dish is a quintessential delicacy. Yogurt provides that extra touch of awesomeness to this dish and is a complete power pack of nutrients!
Fish contains high-quality proteins and omega-3 fatty acids. It is good for your heart as it prevents the chances of heart attacks. Omega-3 fatty acids help in the development of brain and eyes which come packed up in fishes. Yogurt provides rich carbohydrates which are good for health and provide you a boost of energy. It is also low in calories.
- 100 gm Rohu fish(sliced)
- 20 onion (finely chopped)
- 1/4 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic
- 1 whole green chilli (finely chopped)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 2 cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 50 gm of yogurt
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Heat ½ teaspoon of olive oil in a heavy bottom pan and add ginger, garlic and onion. Sauté them for a minute and let it cool. Grind them into a paste.
- Marinate the fish with turmeric powder, red chilli powder, salt and ½ teaspoon of olive oil.
- Add ½ teaspoon of olive oil into the same pan and cumin seeds and let them sputter.
- Now, add cloves, cinnamon and cardamom and sauté for some seconds.
- Add marinated fish and yogurt. Add green chilli and some water if needed.
- Cook it for 20-25 minutes.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.
Over to you
Bengali doi maach is filled with essential nutrients for your body and tastes completely amazing. This curry-based dish can be served with steamed rice, which is also a big contributor to carbohydrate content. You can have it for your lunch or dinner.
Like this Recipe?
Share it with your friends and loved ones: