Baigan Ka Bharta
By Nmami Agarwal
The Punjabi Baingan ka Bharta has countless number of fans all over the world.This recipe is creamy (without any cream), spicy, hearty and just simply delicious. The key while cooking Baingan ka bharta is to cook it directly over the flame until its skin get charred and can be peeled off, which is then combined with a fine blend of spices and ghee to make the brilliant creation.
Baingan ka Bharta is a very healthy dish and as brinjal is the main ingredient of this recipe, it is low in fat and sodium and high in dietary fiber, vitamins C, magnesium, phosphorus, and potassium. Tomatoes are also used in the recipe which has been linked to many health benefits, including reduced risk of heart disease and cancer. It is also a great source of vitamin C, potassium, folate, and vitamin K.
- 1 medium sized baigan (brinjal / eggplant) (60g)
- 1/2 teaspoon oil for greasing
- 1 teaspoon ghee
- 1 teaspoon jeera (cumin seeds)
- 20g sliced onions
- 2 small piece ginger (grated)
- 2-3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1-2 green chilies (finely chopped)
- 20g tomatoes (finely chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala powder
- salt to taste
- Coriander leaves(for garnish)
Energy- 73.8 kcal
Protein- 1.1 g
Carbohydrate- 4.6 g
Fat- 0.24 g
- Smear the oil on brinjal and roast it over open flame till it’s cooked.
- Peel the skin of brinjal and mash the pulp carefully and keep aside.
- Heat the ghee in a kadhai and add the cumin seeds to it.
- When seeds starts to crackle add the onions and sauté it till they turn golden brown.
- Add the grated ginger, garlic, and green chilies to it and sauté for a few more seconds.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, turmeric powder, and coriander powder to it and cook till the mixture starts leaving oil.
- Add the mashed brinjal, punjabi garam masala and salt to it and mix well. Cook for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.
Over to you:
This popular Punjabi dish is paired superbly with plain rotis and parathas. It tastes so delicious that it’s going to worth all the time and is surely going to be a sure shot hit at home.
Like this Article ?
Share it with your friends and loved ones: