By Nmami Agarwal
November 17, 2018
Winter is here and so it is important to keep a strong and balanced immune system to stay healthy and avoid infections. Our immune system requires protein, lipids, vitamins, and minerals which are abundantly found in carrots & broccoli. So, give your body a defense of immunity, it needs while preparing this delicious carrot and broccoli soup.
Carrots contain vitamin C, vitamin B and three minerals which are critical to the immune system i.e. iron, zinc, and copper. Zinc is necessary for the development of cells which attack bacteria and foreign substances. Iron supports the inflammatory process, and the growth of killer cells that destroy viruses and some tumor cells. The deficiency of copper causes fewer white blood cells to respond to foreign substances, which may increase susceptibility to infection. Broccoli on the other hand is rich in dozen of nutrients, and antioxidants such as flavonoids which help in the recycling of vitamin C efficiently.
- 30 grams carrots
- 15 grams of broccoli florets
- 20 grams onion (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger
- 1 clove of garlic
- Fresh ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 cups of vegetable stock or water
- Salt to taste
Calories: 60.4 kcal
Proteins: 0.9 grams
Fat: 5.17 grams
Carbohydrates: 6 grams
- Heat a large pan on medium heat and add oil into it.
- Add onion and ginger into it and cook until onion become tender.
- Now add turmeric, carrots, and broccoli into the mixture and mix well.
- Add a pinch of salt and enough water or stock to cover the vegetables.
- Let this cook on medium low heat, until you poke a fork in one of the carrot pieces and it falls apart.
- Remove it from the heat and blend this with the help of blender.
- Season the soup with salt and pepper as per your taste.
- Serve the soup hot in a bowl while garnishing with toasted sautée veggies.
Over to You:
Nothing beats a homemade soup. Make this rich, low fat, immunity boosting soup this winter season and you’ll have a winner for the whole family. Enjoy!