From Diet to Discipline of Mat Exercises
By Nmami Agarwal
It can be hard to run after expensive gym memberships throughout the year to chase a fit body. But practicing a regular mat exercise routine can be a more on easy to make time for exercise with the help of a mat and small space within your house. Yoga and Pilates- ways to stretch and strengthen the body and muscles spanning from hips to the shoulders. And that’s what we are going to discuss about. So, let’s jump into these two mat exercises and discover them to the core.
Thoughts and actions that define and shape our living are self attained and as Gita describe yoga as ‘skill in actions’. Yoga is a scientific method of uniting outer environment and hidden energies in us or in other terms it’s a bridge that unites our mind and body which potentially makes us poise from inside even if world outside is falling into pieces. It’s a practice to make us aware of our breath and an awareness making us to master our thoughts and to choose whether or not respond to them.
Our body consists of five earthly elements i.e. water, fire, air, land and space and a proper balance of all of them leads to human survival. Similarly, practicing yoga with proper nutrition is a balanced manner which can lead us to a healthy well-being. Nutrition explains a role of nutrients in which the body uses variety of nutrients forming a happy relationship between diet and body leading towards a healthy future with relaxed mind and soul.
Yoga Getting Paired Up With Nutrition
We have all heard of the famous proverb ‘prevention is better than cure’. Both yoga and nutrition leads to prevention from various diseases, anxiety, stress, depression, heart attack and diabetes and with the change of environment and consumption habits all these problems are no longer belong to just older people, these are found in people at a very early stage of their life. Research says there have been hundred per cent growth in diabetic patients over the past fifteen years that also includes children, hence it is recommended to start yoga and taking advised nutrition at early age.
One of the ten commandments of Yoga focuses on ‘shaucha’- cleanliness and purity that has been a major contribution in the cleanliness and purity of our diet (detoxification). When looking for foods for natural detoxification foods like garlic, beets, fermented foods, walnuts, mustard, and dandelion greens, are packed with nutritional bang along with detoxifying effects. These foods break down toxins and eliminate it from the body system.
Proper nutrition along with yoga practice help fuel the body. Combination of functional foods, and yoga poses leads to the relaxation of our nervous system. Yoga and nutrition has major role in supporting healthy digestion that helps in reaching desired body shape and weight. Also, right combination of carbs, fats and protein boosts our energy and practice of several yoga poses like vinyasa, bow pose, headstand, and warrior ii etc. and gives an energized spirit. Nutrients like selenium, zinc and vitamin c helps in strengthening immunity system and aasan like tadasana, bhujangasana, trikonasana also improves immunity with combination of those nutrients.
Having a good body posture and flexibility is something everyone wants but how to achieve that? Pilates is all about it! It is originally called “Contrology”. With that said, it basically means having a control on your body, mind and muscles. It’s all about putting your body parts and muscles in alignment! It follows certain techniques and method that help you make feel better and healthier than before. The best part is it is a whole body workout which targets every part of your body.
Pilates increase flexibility and work great in acquiring good body posture. It generally strengthens your core targeting your abdominal area and resulting in better abs. It improves bone density and promotes weight loss by burning those extra calories in your body. It is effective in increasing cardiovascular endurance and help in relieving back pain problems. The movements include muscle activation which helps in improving posture and also increases flexibility. Pilates is more of focussed on the betterment of your body rather than burning calories at a greater amount. It helps in losing considerable weight.
Pilates Getting Paired Up With Nutrition
As pilates target on your core area, it is advisable to eat something light and nutritious. Skipping on meals before the workout should not be appreciated because doing that can deprive your body from energy and can give it a heavy toll. Some of the foods that you may consume are given below.
- Protein rich soy – Soy bean is a great option for vegans. It is filled with proteins, fibres and vitamins and minerals like vitamin K1, copper, manganese, phosphorus, etc. Fibre is good for gut health and is easy to digest. Soybeans help prevent prostate and breast cancer. Some of the ways in which you can eat soy are:
1. Soy stir fry – Stir fry soya with some exotic veggies like spinach, broccoli or kale. This is totally healthy and nutrient- rich. Broccoli is a good source of fibres, spinach provides large amounts of iron and kale is an excellent source of vitamin C. You can also use tofu here which is high in proteins and compounds like isoflavones which is known for having various health benefits.
2. Boiled soy with toast – Boiled soy beans can be eaten with toast. You can toast a slice of multigrain bread which provides the goodness of whole grains that are rich in vitamins and contain fibres. Add a pinch of black pepper and salt, and your meal is sorted.
- Beverage – Beverages are the easiest addition to diet. Some of the beverages that you can have before the pilate workout are:
1. Ginger tea – Ginger helps reduce body sickness like nausea and vomiting and is a power pack of antioxidants. It contains a substance called gingerol which is known to possess anti-inflammatory properties. Simply slice some ginger and boil it with water. Strain and enjoy your tea. Add some herbs for a delightful taste.
2. Lemon tea – Lemons are known for bearing amazing quantity of vitamin C which helps in building immunity and skin health. It helps in improving cardiovascular health and preventing anaemia and cancer. Squeeze some lemon in boiling water and your tea is ready to be consumed.
- Eggs – Eggs contain good cholesterol which is good for heart health. They also contain antioxidants like lutein and zeaxanthin which help improve eye health. They are a good source of protein and contain fewer amounts of calories.
1. Egg sprout salad – Raw sprouts are very nutritious. They help control blood sugar levels and aid digestion. They are also known to improve heart health. Mix some soaked raw sprouts with boiled eggs and add some veggies as per your liking.
2. Lettuce and poached egg toast – Lettuce is a low-calorie vegetable and is an amazing source of antioxidants, vitamins like vitamin K which helps in blood clotting and vitamin A which promotes better eye health. Toast a slice of multigrain bread and serve poached eggs with lettuce along with it.
Over to you
Along with several budgets we have like education budget, grocery budget we should also focus on health budget which also stands as investment in our future health and well-being. An efficient health budget should involve money that covers yoga training, good and advised nutrition, nutritionist and balanced diet requirements.
Like this Article ?
Share it with your friends and loved ones: