Food for thought-Six Foods for Neuro Nutrition
By Nmami Agarwal
The brain is quite different from the body in many ways and what happens in there cannot be felt for a long time. The mind is occupied with countless thoughts and it is very essential to take care of our brain health.
Nutrient acts as a trigger for our brain development processes, without which the development is stunned and impairs brain physiology and structure. Different nutrition has different actions in development, malnutrition, growth, and protection of the brain.
Some essential nutrition for our brain
- Carotenoids and flavonoids: These are antioxidants which combat stress in the brain and have a positive effect in the aging process. These are especially available in yellow and orange vegetables but present in almost all the fruits.
- Dietary lipids: Dairy products and egg yolks have been associated with brain functioning in all the ages. Lipids are essential for proper membranes and myelin.
- Micronutrients: Iron, zinc, choline, selenium, iodine, magnesium, and choline are the micronutrients which play key roles in energy metabolism as well as neurological enzymatic reactions and processes. These are involved in producing functional brain lipids, neurotransmitters, DNA and RNA.
Foods essential for neuron Health
- Walnuts: Walnuts are the source of bioactive phytochemicals and nutrients. Walnuts contain PUFAs such as ALA and LA, which boosts functioning with the increase in age. Walnuts also have polyphenols, vitamin E, folate, ellagitannins, ellagic acid monomers, polymeric tannins, pectic, flavonoids and a variety of minerals.
- Salmon: two third of the brain fatty acid are dicosahexaenoicacid(DHA) which is primarily found in oily fish. Salmon is rich in omega 3 fatty acids which are long snake-like building blocks fat molecules required for proper brain functions.
- Pumpkin seeds: pumpkin seeds improve concentration and help in thinking clearly. It gives a boost to brain energy which makes the brain function better. They are rich in omega 3 fatty acids which leads to healthy brain development, improves memory and mental health. Pumpkin seeds also have magnesium and glutamate which reduces anxiety and calms the brain.
- Spinach: Spinach is a green vegetable and works well for brain health. It has antioxidants which can block the effects of free radicals, toxins produced by the body which damage cells and lead to healing cancer and stokes. It also has B vitamin folate which reduces a compound that can be toxic to neurons.
- Flax seeds: flax seeds are rich in alpha-linolenicacid(ALA) which is an omega 3 fatty acids. These acids are strongly linked with brain development and brain health. Flaxseeds can be used in salad dressings, sauces, dips, and smoothies.
- Avocado: Fresh avocado increases lutein levels in the brain. Lutein is an anti-inflammatory and antioxidant chemical which is rich in avocado. Avocado also helps in improving memory, processing speed and attention levels in aged people.
Over to you
There is a lifetime need to take care of brain since brain has irreplaceable cells and it is very hard to figure brain problems quickly. Today atmosphere is leading to more neuron disorders and proper diet should be taken in order to prevent brain problems.
Like this Article ?
Share it with your friends and loved ones: