Five common Food Allergies
By Nmami Agarwal
When our body defense system treats protein in food as threat, leads to food allergies. It causes abnormal responses to food by immune system. The system releases chemicals like histamine in order to protect body which causes inflammation.
Food allergies can be diagnosed by skin and blood tests, elimination tests and by studying detailed history.
Food allergies also recognized by symptoms which often involves itching or swelling in mouth, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal cramps, pain, hives, tightening of throat, breathing troubles and drop in blood pressure.
Types of food allergies
- igE mediated food allergy: the symptoms related to this allergy occurs after few minutes of eating when immune system produces antibodies is called immunoglobulin E.
- Non igE mediated food allergy: The symptoms does not occur right away and it is not caused by igE, it is caused by other cells in immune system.
- Mixed: It involves experience of symptoms of both types.
Common food allergies
Substance which causes allergic reaction in food or beverages is called ‘allergen’. Allergies can be caused by reaction with any food but there are some foods which commonly react and cause allergies.
- Mushroom allergy: Mushroom allergy can occur at any age even if you are consuming mushrooms for several years. The immune system releases IgE antibodies to combat mushroom protein and release of chemical called histamine, the allergy causes immediate reactions.
It is recommended to avoid white or button mushrooms, Chanterelle, Portobello, shiitake, black truffle, morels.
- Egg allergy: Eggs allergy is common among many people, the people who are allergic to chicken egg are also found allergic to goose, duck, turkey or quail egg. Egg allergy can cause skin reactions like swelling, rash, hives, difficulty in breathing, running nose, stomach ache, vomiting, nausea and diarrhea.
It is possible to be allergic to egg whites and not egg yolks and vice versa. It is recommended to adopt egg free cooking.
- Peanuts allergy: Peanuts allergies can be discovered through elimination tests and this allergy can cause severe reaction to allergen such as anaphylaxis. The symptoms usually involves drop in blood pressure, pale skin, fainting and dizziness. Mild symptoms include itchiness, nausea and running nose.
Peanut products can be in candies, cereals, and baked foods so it is advices to check ingredients.
- Wheat allergy (gluten allergy): Gluten allergy is common form of allergy which can be caused by eating or inhaling wheat flour. Gluten allergy is caused when body produces antibiotic in reaction to protein found in wheat. It can cause severe reactions like anaphylaxis. Wheat allergy leads to development for any of four wheat proteins rich are albumin, globulin, gliadin and gluten.
Wheat is found in several foods, the allergy is common in toddlers, babies or it can also be genetic.
- Fish allergy: Fish allergy often affects women more than men and adults more than children. The symptoms can range from mile, such as skin rashes, respiratory problems, gastrointestinal distress to severe, such as anaphylaxis. It is caused by release of IgE in blood cells which break open and release histamine in bloodstream.
It is recommended to avoid sauces, condiments or prepared food that contains fish or fish byproducts.
Over to you
There are several foods that can cause allergy and these are the most common allergies found in people, the best way to protect self is to avoid eating that food or related things as allergies can cause severe reactions and it is better to prevent such reactions.
Like this Article ?
Share it with your friends and loved ones: