By Nmami Agarwal
Cancer not only affects an individual but impacts the family as well. It’s a battle you did not choose on your own but can definitely fight it. Reel life heroes like Manisha Koirala, Lisa Ray, Yuvraj Singh fought it bravely and became real heroes. By popping in numerous medications and going through painful chemo sessions, life might be uneasy but it’s going to be a chapter in your life, and not the whole story.
People undergo transformation physically, emotionally and psychologically during various stages of cancer. But, there are certain things cancer cannot do like:
- Silence your courage
- Corrode your faith
- Kill friendship
- Steal your humor
- Stifle your laughter
- Erase memories
It might invade your cells but not your “Soul”.
The cause and symptoms of cancer differ from individual to individual. However, researchers have shown that people who eat well including diets high in protein and calories are able to tolerate surgery, chemotherapy and radiation better.
Here are certain nutrition tips that you can follow before, during and after your treatment:-
Nutrition before treatment
- Preparing for treatment is very important to strengthen the immune system by including vitamin C rich foods such as lemons, oranges, papayas, broccoli etc.
- Eat a healthy diet and keep up the good work.
- Include a good amount of protein (paneer, chicken, fish, nuts, milk, lentils) and calories dense foods.
Nutrition during treatment
- Develop the habit of having at least five or more servings of steamed/ cooked vegetables. Avoid anything that is raw to prevent infection.
- Consume small, frequent meals to fight symptoms such as nausea, appetite loss, etc.
Nutrition after treatment
- Continue with good habits.
- Eat a balanced diet.
- Engage in some kind of physical activity.
Over to You
Every beginning has an end and so does cancer. cancer itself speaks out that you can beat it by reshaping your diet and lifestyle with a positive attitude towards life and making it believe that it has been sailing on the wrong ship.