Fast the Right Way this Navratri!
By Nmami Agarwal
March 21, 2018
The nine day FAST-ival of Navratri not only symbolises the spiritual cleansing of the soul but also is a great way to detoxify your body as the season changes. The biggest mistake that people end up committing is either going hungry and eating inadequately throughout the fasting period or eating the wrong foods which defeat the purpose of ‘fasting’ or a ‘detox’. This Navratri, fast with us the right way as we unveil the secrets to reaping the maximum benefits of fasting.
Health benefits of Fasting
Fasting plays an important role in cleansing your body, mind and soul thus purifying you from within. However, diabetic patients and pregnant women should strictly avoid it. This is because fasting drops down the blood sugar level and also decreases the metabolic rate. It is advisable that when you fast, small but frequent meals should be taken to avoid any health issues.
How to Fast the Right Way?
- Start your day with a handful of almonds and walnuts.
- Have milk along with fruits for breakfast.
- Don’t forget to stay hydrated throughout the day and have coconut water, lassi, or buttermilk at noon.
- Sabudana khichdi makes for a scrumptious and easy lunch. You can also have arbi and lauki sabzi with a bowl of curd.
- Treat those hunger pangs with healthy snacks like roasted paneer or makhana in the evening.
- For dinner have aloo sabzi along with singhara roti. You can gorge on pumpkin halwa for a healthy dessert.
One should generally avoid sugary items like ladoos, barfi and other sweets. Instead, increase your intake of fruits which are composed of natural sugar, vitamins, minerals, fibre which are lighter on your stomach and more nutritious.
The Flipside of Fasting
Fasting should never let your energy levels dip. If that’s the case, then you are not doing it properly. Remember to eat frequently and have smaller meals. Keep fruits or nuts handy and snack on them whenever you feel your energy levels slump.
Over to you
Now that we’ve cleared the major misconceptions around fasting and Navratri, make the most out of this Navratri fasting period by making healthier choices. When in doubt, bookmark and follow these tips to gain the maximum benefits of fasting without compromising your health. Remember fasting doesn’t mean staying hungry!