Cooked vs Raw Vegetables: Info on Bio Availability
By Nmami Agarwal
A vegetable if cooked or eaten raw makes a huge difference in its nutritional quality. Some may provide better nutritional benefits if cooked while others may work better if eaten raw.
In order to grab most of the nutrients from the vegetables you eat, the way you prepare them must be overlooked.
Cooking some vegetables may decrease the nutrient content in them. For instance, B vitamins and vitamin C are generally lost while boiling vegetables.
Cooking vegetables can also help absorb some of the nutrients better as they make the cell walls less rigid which also help in digesting them better.
Following are some of the vegetables which should be eaten raw or either cooked to retain better amounts of nutrients.
- Spinach is one of the healthiest green leafy vegetable containing fibers, folic acid, iron, magnesium, calcium, and vitamin C.
- It should be eaten cooked because it helps in the absorption of more calcium, iron and magnesium.
- Carrots are a good source of fibers, potassium, biotin and other essential vitamins and minerals.
- Instead of raw, eat cooked carrots as it contains more of the antioxidant called beta carotene which when converted into vitamin A improves bone and eye health.
- Tomatoes are a good source of fibers and are generally eaten raw in most of the salads.
- Tomatoes must be eaten cooked as it increases the amount of lycopene which is known to reduce heart diseases and cancer.
- Broccoli is a great source of digestible fibers and amazing nutrients.
- It should be eaten raw as cooking reduces Glucosinolate, a nutrient which helps fighting cancer.
- Boiling also deactivates myrosinase, an enzyme present in broccoli that helps cleansing carcinogens from the liver.
- Garlic is highly nutritious but should be eaten raw.
- Cooking reduces the amount of health-promoting allicin present in garlic.
- Garlic is known to lower blood pressure levels, cholesterol levels which help in reducing heart risks.
Over to you
Knowledge about these common vegetables and how to inculcate them in your diet is totally significant. Always opt for ways to absorb most of the nutrients from the vegetables and coming a step closer to a better and healthy lifestyle!
Like this Article ?
Share it with your friends and loved ones: