Cheers to a Healthy Heart!
By Nmami Agarwal
September 12, 2018
Despite many new drugs and medical treatment is gaining grounds, pulling up a healthy diet, some physical activities and no smoking are still stood undeterred in putting your heart in its best working condition. A healthy diet ticks all the boxes of the solution, to keep your heart disease free and healthy. Here’s a list of food items to be included and excluded for a healthy heart in your diet chart and why.
- Green leafy vegetables: Being very low in fats and calories but high in dietary fibre makes them the right choice for your heart. Leafy vegetables like spinach, radish leaves, mustard leaves, lettuce etc. hold the credit for reducing the heart diseases, containing folic acid, magnesium, calcium and potassium which are responsible for optimum heart functioning.
- Nuts and Seeds: Nuts and seeds like walnuts, almonds, pumpkin and sunflower seeds are rich in vitamin E lowering your bad cholesterol and high in omega-3 fatty acids to ward off heart diseases. Also, nuts and seeds are the easiest food to include in your daily diet. So, when getting late grab and handful of nuts or seeds and say cheers to your heart health.
- Oats: It occupies one of the top positions for the foods to be in breakfast. It contains beta-glucan (that’s a soluble fibre) which helps in arresting the cholesterol levels especially LDL (the bad cholesterol). They keep you energetic.
- Olive oil: Loaded with antioxidants and monounsaturated fats Olive oil can be a new entrant in your cooking oil list. It lowers inflammations and prevents unwanted blood clots. Regular consumption of olive oil lowers the risk of strokes to a great extent.
- Tomatoes and Apples: While tomatoes work as a blood purifier, apples acts against unnecessary blood clots, which makes both of them happy friends of your heart. Both the items play a delicious role in your salad plate.
Foods hostile to heart
- Fast and deep fry foods: Local Indian tastes of samosa, chole- bhature have saturated fat with carbohydrates which bears a deleterious effect on your heart. There are studies that have to find negative links between fast and deep fry foods with bad heart health.
- Fried chicken: Deep frying the chicken diminishes its nutritional values and benefits and increases the harmful content it, which contains cholesterol which is not good for your heart. So, try avoiding fried chicken as much as possible in your daily diet plan.
- Red meats (pork): They have a considerable amount of cholesterol and saturated fat which are the worst enemies of your heart. Also, pigs are often considered as vacuum cleaners of the farm. They eat anything they come across like scraps, insects, bugs and the flesh of other dead animals, including cancerous tumours. So, it better you avoid pork to maintain a good heart health.
- Chinese take-outs: Their sugary sauces and deeply fried breeding load them with calories, sodium, fats and carbs but such a combination dramatically increase your blood sugar, bringing the whole show against your heart.
- Pizza: Its crust is high in carbs and sodium along with its high in sodium sauces brings in to the conclusion that it’s unfavourable for the heart. Its crust high in carbs and sodium then depending on the quantity of cheese used, it has a fair amount of fat and sodium, which all should be excluded to promote your heart for longer.
Over to you
Finally, the story is at your wish that how you want to end it. Include the food items that push your heart’s health to an extra mile along with negating the unhealthy ones. A healthy heart is a hearty heart.