Carrot Sago Pudding
By Nmami Agarwal
Excerpt: Holi, the festival of colours is definitely incomplete without the delicious and tempting sweets that infuse the day with festive spirit and oodles of fun. This season, enjoy holi with this mouth- watering and refreshing dessert, Carrot Sago Pudding.
This pudding not only adds a sweet twist to your regular Indian kheer but also adds extra nutritional value.
- ½ small cup sabudana (Sago)
- 1 shredded carrot
- 1 ½ cups your choice of milk (low fat/skimmed/whole/cow/buffalo)
- 1 tsp clarified butter (ghee)
- 1-2 pistachio, chopped
- 2-4 strands of crushed saffron.
- 3-4 almonds, chopped
- 1 tbsp. jaggery or 2 tbsp sugar (as per your taste)
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
Nutritional Value – Sago/tapioca pearl (Sabudana) is power packed with carbohydrates, and when combined with milk, carrots and nuts, the pudding proves to be an excellent energy booster. Adding saffron to the dish fills it with pleasant aroma, making it a deliciously desirable dessert.
- Calories: 325 kcal
- Servings: 2
- Course: Lunch or Dinner
1. Wash and soak the sago pearls in a bowl for 40-45 mins before cooking.
2. In a small bowl, take 1 tbsp of milk and soak saffron in it and keep in the refrigerator. The saffron leaves a darker colour when soaked and refrigerated.
3. In a heated pan, add ghee and grated carrot. Sauté them for 5-7 minutes.
4. Now add milk in the same pan and allow it to boil. Once the milk starts to boil, add the jaggary, cardamom powder and soaked sago pearls. Keep stirring on low flame. Make sure you don’t overcook the sago.
5. Once the milk begins to thicken, you can add the chopped nuts and saffron soaked milk. Mix them well.
6. Allow it cook for a few more minutes till the milk turns thick and creamy.
7. Remove it from the gas and transfer it into the serving bowls or glasses. Serve it hot or chilled.
8. Garnish it with some crushed nuts and rose petals before serving.
Over to you:
This festive season, enjoy this relishing sweet pudding with your family and friends. We wish you a spectacular Holi and motivate you to keep taking small steps towards a healthy and nourishing lifestyle. Also, try avoiding those unwanted calories in the form of gujjias and ladoos. So, this Holi- Eat healthy and stay healthy!
Have a unique recipe, which keeps you healthy, fit and fine? Share it in the comment section below, and get a chance to be featured on our blog here!
Like this Article ?
Share it with your friends and loved ones: