All About Food Logos
By Nmami Agarwal
Food logos provide certification to the product and prevent you from buying sub-standard and fake products.
Consumers generally look for the price, and if the product is vegetarian or non-vegetarian but that’s not all! There are a lot of many other things you are missing out on.
Before buying any packaged food, go through the listed set of food logos which provide information about the quality and standard of food that you are going to eat.
Listed logos are established by different government bodies to meet the quality standards of the food. Here it goes!
- Food Safety and Standards Authority of India is a government body of Ministry of Health and Family Welfare of India.
- It maintains the availability of safe food for human consumption and also ensures their manufacture, storage, distribution, sale and import.
- Agmark is a certification mark for all the agricultural products. “Ag” means agriculture and “mark” is for certification.
- The products span from pulses, cereals, vegetable oils, fruits & vegetables and other semi-processed products.
- It is approved by Directorate of Marketing and Inspection, an agency of Government of India.
Organic Food Product (Jaivik Bharat for India)
- This logo ensures that the food is certified as being an organic product.
- India has just developed Jaivik Bharat as a logo for organic food products by FSSAI, APEDA and PGS-India.
- Organic foods are foods grown without any use of artificial chemicals, growth hormones and pesticides.
- FPO is issued by the Ministry of Food Processing. It makes sure that the food is safe for health and is prepared under clean and hygienic process.
- It certifies processed food products like packaged fruit beverages, fruit-jams, especially for packed fruit items.
- Veg logo which is actually “a green dot” in a square ensures that the food is vegetarian.
- Non-Veg logo is “a red dot” in a square which ensures that the food is non-vegetarian.
Over to you
Don’t sideline these food logos and know your food better. Before buying any food item from the any super market or confectionery stores, look for the above mentioned food logos and always go for certified and safe food items.
Like this Article ?
Share it with your friends and loved ones: