Add a Touch of Spice to Your Health
By Nmami Agarwal
Spices are the dried form of numerous roots, seeds, fruits, vegetables, barks and other plant fragments, fundamentally used for preserving, coloring and flavoring food. They are available in every part of the world and are utilized in every cuisine. Other than their culinary use spices have various anti-microbial and health benefits. They help improve heart health, induce sweating, boost healthy skin, regulate the metabolism, detoxify the body, fight infection, boost the immunity system, lower inflammation, and prevent cancer. It might come as a surprise that certain spices even shield the body from various acute ailments and life-threatening diseases.
They are also beneficial for weight loss, increasing appetite, reducing stress, strengthening bones, improving digestion protecting against diseases, protecting oral health, curing cold and balancing the hormones. Health advantages of spices are as follows:
- High levels of antioxidants: spices have higher levels of antioxidants and organic compounds than most of the fruits. They are praised for their ability to reduce inflammation and manage pain. Spices like horseradish, cinnamon, turmeric and cumin are best examples of this category. These spices also manage diabetes and increase metabolism.
- Prevent heart diseases: heart healing herbs like cinnamon, garlic, ginger, turmeric and cayenne are blood thinners which promote cardiovascular health. They reduce blood sugar levels and are powerful inflammatory agents.
- Rich sources of innumerous vitamins: spices are packed with diverse and considerable amount of vitamins. Pepper, cayenne, dried basil and oregano are great sources of vitamin A whereas coriander, thyme, parsley and dill weed are of vitamin C. Thyme, sage and oregano provide substantial amounts of vitamin K.
- Build up immunity system: spices like cayenne pepper, cinnamon, garlic, ginger, oregano and rosemary boost up immunity system by regulating blood sugar levels, providing anti-oxidants and fighting against infections.
- Works wonders on skin and hair: Different spices portray different effects on skin. For example, turmeric is world-famous for healthy nourishing of skin whereas cinnamon provides a natural flush by speeding up blood circulation. Garlic can work magic on lifeless hair by re-energizing hair follicles to give healthy and strong hair.
- Improves bone health: cinnamon, cloves, garlic, ginger and turmeric are holy grails when it comes to improving bone health. These spices prevent bone breakdown and osteoporotic bone loss. Cloves being a source of manganese, vitamin K and omega-3 fatty acids provide essential nutrients too bones.
- Enhances brain health: spices like turmeric, sage, saffron and ashwagandha which is a medieval ayurvedic medicine have brain enhancing properties. Turmeric helps to repair brain cells whereas saffron is ideal for people suffering from depression. Sage is known to prevent Alzheimer’s disease and ashwagandha reduces oxidative stress, which contributes to the development and progression of Alzheimer’s.
It is highly suggested to use organic and fresh spices. They can be easily mixed together to make any dish flavorful. You can incorporate spices individually or together to fulfill your body’s dietary needs and to please your taste buds at the same time.
Like this Article ?
Share it with your friends and loved ones: