By Nmami Agarwal
September 6, 2018
Foods we include in our daily meal play a crucial role in our body development and show an important influence on overall wellbeing in long run. Hence, the key factor of eating well is to include a variety of nutritious foods in the daily meal plan from each of the five food groups. Foods which provide similar content of essential nutrients are grouped together specifically. For instance, the key nutrients traced in milk, yogurt, and other dairy products include protein and calcium, while fruit is considered an incredible source of vitamins and mineral, especially vitamin C.
To meet the vital nutrients requirements of our body for a good health, we all need to include the variety of foods from each of the five food groups on daily basis in the recommended amounts so that, we don’t miss out the nourishment we need to give to our body for optimal functioning. In fact, some days, we only need to include some of the foods from each food group for a couple of times a week. Let’s see what those five food category is!
- Dairy: Foods in this group are excellent sources of calcium, protein, vitamin D and potassium which are vital for stronger and healthier bones. Not much of other foods in diet have the significant amount of these nutrients found in dairy.
- Fruit: Fruit, first of all, is considered the natural sweeteners in our diet which offers essential vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, dietary fiber and several phytonutrients present in plants that help your body to stay healthy.
- Grain (cereal) foods: Always choose whole grain/ multigrain or high fiber varieties of foods like bread, cereals, rice, or noodles as they are rich in dietary fiber which makes you feel fuller from the stomach. Avoid refined grain products as they can be high in added fat, sugar or
- Vegetables: Vegetables should be the major food group we should include in our daily meal as they provide dietary fiber, vitamins, minerals and phytonutrients, naturally present in veggies same like fruits that help our body stay healthy. So, make veggies up a large part of your
daily diet encouraged at every meal.
- Lean meats, fish, tofu, poultry, nuts, seeds and legumes/beans: Our bodies need protein from our daily meal we eat to form a specialized compound called haemoglobin and adrenalin to make it run. Protein, the key nutrient of this food group also builds, maintains, and
repairs body tissues. In fact, muscles and organs like heart are primarily structured of protein.
Over to you
Nonetheless, it’s also important to include a variety of foods from each of the five food groups as different foods are different in the number of nutrients they have to offer. For example, in vegetables and legumes food group, orange vegetables like pumpkins and carrots have significantly additional vitamin A content than other veggies such as white potatoes. So, make sure to add a few foods from each five foods group to support your health in every best possible way.