5 Proven Hacks to Find Relief From Menstrual Pain
By Nmami Agarwal
March 15, 2017
Menstrual pain is a necessary evil that pays a visit every month like a shameless, uninvited guest. Although most women experience mild cramps, the pain is unbearable for some of us. Since you’re reading this, we believe you are one of them and hence, without much ado, we’ll share top five tricks to get you out of your misery in no time.
- Exercise: We know, what you may be thinking, “Exercise is the last thing on my mind! I don’t want to move even an inch!” However, some light exercise like stretching and restorative yoga can help ease the stiffness felt due to cramping.
- Cinnamon tea: Cinnamon, or dal cheeni as we call it, is identified in Ayurveda as an antispasmodic spice. Boil it in water and have it with honey as cinnamon tea. Not only will it ease the pain, combined with honey, it warms up the body from within calming the nerves.
- Hot water bag: This is probably the most deployed trick to find relief from menstrual cramps. The pain originates from the contraction of uterine muscles. Application of heat on the lower abdomen and back increases blood flow and relaxes muscles.
- Peppermint: If cinnamon tea sounds too far fetched, drop few peppermint leaves in boiling water and have it with honey as much as you want. You can also massage your abdomen and feet with peppermint oil for an added effect.
- A hot bath: With all the bleeding and mess, lying down in the bath tub with aroma oils and warm water is not something we’d want to do. Nonetheless, it’s extremely helpful. For the time you’re in the tub, you won’t bleed and the warmth of water will relax your muscles, while aroma oils will soothe your sense.
Apart from this, keep yourself well-hydrated with hot water and green tea. No need to bow down to the suffering and feel miserable. Periods are as natural a process as breathing, and hence, should not be allowed to take over our life’s happiness.