By Nmami Agarwal
Fueling your body pre workout is the most important part of any workout routine. If you don’t fuel your body before a workout then you won’t have energy to give your maximum performance. Obviously if you’re going to gym without energy then you won’t be able to lift as heavy and perform well. So, you should take pre workout meal in consideration to calorie intake and macro nutrients such as carbs and protein.
During exercise your body converts glycogen into glucose hence; glycogen has to be restored, which plays an important role in contracting muscles. After glycogen there is carbs that comes into play. It fuels your body, help with recovery and preserves muscle glycogen, which increases the muscle growth. Look out for ways to incorporate good carbs into your diet. Protein on the other hand helps in maintaining muscles. It increases amino acid production in our blood which gives a boost to muscle building. Pheww! So much science to take in, but it’s useful to know. Isn’t it?
It is recommended to consume a full meal two to three hours before a workout and simple carbs, protein and caffeine thirty to ninety minutes prior workout, so that you don’t feel dilated. Remember, timing and portion control are very important factors that you should consider while preparing pre workout meals. There are certain meal ideas that you can include in your pre-workout routine which will help your body to prepare before going to gym and hence, maximize your efforts.
Here’s a list, let’s have a look!
- Porridge or Oatmeal: Oats are a classic morning staple food as it releases carbohydrate and energy slowly and therefore, helps in maintaining constant energy level throughout the workout. Combine it with some fresh fruits, it’ll work even better and don’t forget to have this meal two to three hours prior your workout routine.
- Handful of Nuts: We all live in a busy & tight schedule so, there comes a time when we don’t have much time to sit and have a proper meal thus, for those times comes to rescue these handfuls of nuts. For a quick pre workout fix keep some nuts handy like almonds, walnuts and figs. These are a good source of simple carbohydrate and nutrients. So, grab a handful of nuts.
- Fruit Bowl: Fruits are full of carbohydrate which break down quickly and is used as a fuel during your workout. You can opt for some seasonal fresh fruits like berries, guava, apple, papaya, banana etc. Most of the people like to have a banana before their workout routine as it is best for raising potassium levels which drops when you sweat a lot.
- Whole Wheat Toast with Grilled Veggies: The best way to give your muscles energy it need is to consume high carbohydrate foods or drinks that are absorbed quickly. Whole wheat toast with grilled veggies will give you carbs for the workout and releases energy slowly and steadily throughout the routine with the bonus of being super easy to digest.
- Black Coffee Shot: As caffeine is the first thing that we crave in the morning, a lot of people probably remains in dilemma that whether they should take coffee prior to work out or not. The good news is you can! But it should be “black coffee” and should be consumed without sugar and milk. What black coffee does? It stimulates the nervous system, and improves muscle contraction, energy and alertness which mean energized workouts.
Over to You:
Whatever your pre workout includes, make sure it should be light and easily digestible and packed with nutrients too so that you can go full throttle on your workout without any breakdown.