5 Post Workout Meal Ideas
By Nmami Agarwal
We all wish to get the most out of our workout so that we can perform better tomorrow and attain what we desire for. For that, eating the right food after workout is extremely important because that will not only help replenish our body, but will also keep our energy levels up and help in building muscles. However, we often neglect to eat the right food/ meal post workout.
Whether we intend to lose fat or want to increase muscle tone, our post-workout meal plays a major role. Our body stores glycogen and protein in muscles and during a workout the body first tends to burn the nutrients that we eat pre workout and then moves on to stored glycogen, burning it as the energy. After that, protein starts dropping as muscle fiber starts breaking out. Therefore, it’s necessary to consider all of this before preparing the ideal diet/ meal plan to maximize gains.
A Guide To Post-Workout Meal Plan
Post-workout meal timing is another important factor. The ideal timing for a post workout meal should be thirty to forty five minutes after the workout but it also depends on our metabolism, how big the meal is and perhaps the kind of exercise we’re doing. Our post workout meal should include veggies and whole foods and not just the supplements and protein shakes, as our body requires fiber and vitamins from real food. We’ve rounded up our five favorite meal ideas for post workout, and it includes a healthy mix of protein, carbs, antioxidants and vitamins. Take a look.
Post-Workout Meal Ideas
- Sweet Potato and Kidney Bean Quinoa Bowl: If you’re working on building muscle mass then, this combination is a must try, as sweet potatoes are a good source of carbohydrates, and kidney beans are rich in protein. The high content of amino acid that is present in quinoa will complement the nutritional benefits that are present in both sweet potatoes and kidney beans. In short, it is a complete power packed meal, which we require after workout.
- Spicy Chicken Salmon: Chicken and salmon both are categorized as lean meats and recommended for post workout meal for muscle building and gaining. So, try this spicy baked chicken salmon for your post workout meal with the aromatic seasoning of paprika, oregano, salt and pepper. Give this spicy meal a touch of garlic and onion paste and basil.
- Farro Salad with Cabbage Mushrooms & Poached Eggs: This salad is fancy enough to fill our soul and it’s super easy to prepare. This recipe has grains, veggies and poached eggs (essential to this meal idea) that are the perfect combination of taste and nutrition which we require after a workout while giving the appropriate balance of nutrients to the body.
- Crispy Tofu Scramble With Vegetables: Tofu single handedly can fulfill the entire protein requirement after an intense workout. Use sautéed capsicum, beans, carrots or peas as vegetables in this recipe and also feel free to customize these crispy tofu scramble with veggies and spices of your choice.
- Avo and Banana Smoothie: When in a time crunch, then try this avocado and banana smoothie helps replenish our soul after a workout. Banana kicks in potassium and avocado provides us with Vitamin B which helps in metabolizing healthy carbs and proteins.
Over to You:
Remember, nutrition is just as important as working out, while improving our overall fitness. When both things go hand in hand amazing results can be seen in just few months! So, mind your post-workout meals and choose any of your favorite for next time.
Like this Article ?
Share it with your friends and loved ones: