Immunity booster in a bowl: mushroom barley soup
By Nmami Agarwal
May 16, 2018
This recipe is ideal to have when you’re back to your room, exhausted after travelling and yearn for something light and simple, yet yummy. A combination of the healing powers of mushroom with the fiber-richness of barley, this soup is worth getting a praise.
Calories: 55 – 67
- 25g barley
- ½ tablespoons olive oilme
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- Salt and black pepper as per taste
- 1 celery stalk, diced
- 20g button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- Bring the barley to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and cook until tender. Keep it aside.
- Heat the oil. Add the onions, salt, and pepper. Cover and cook until the onions have softened, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add celery.
- Put in the mushrooms, increase heat to medium-high, and cook until they release their juices.
- Add the broth, bay leaves, and thyme and stir (uncovered)
- Stir in the cooked barley.
- Remove the bay leaves and then serve hot.
Over to you
Delicious, healthy and nutritious mushroom barley soup is ready. Drink it hot and pack yourself with energy for your next trek. Have it and praise it for its simplicity and richness.